• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1950s

Really enjoyed that Topsy thanks for posting. My favourite childhood tune's included "Nelly the Elephant". Some very nice reminders of the milk vending machine, rouched swimming cozzies and gorgeous frocks. Viv.

Thanks for posting Topsy, What happy memories, Andy Pandy on that tiny television !!
rosie.

Topsy - brilliant, funny how we can remember all the words to the song, but cant remember now where I put my car keys!!

Topsy, thanks for sharing those memories of the 50's. A great time; first job, money to spend on those lovely dresses, skirts and petticoats (I had a 23" waist then, not saying what the measurement is now, though!) Got married and later bought a Leisure 80 cooker with eye-level grill which I thought was the tops. I hadn't heard those songs for years, but I could actually remember the words................

Anthea

Chocolate machines from early 50s.
Image451.jpg

Wow imagine all the chocolate bars that have gone through those machines! I remember getting a miniature one for Christmas. You had to put a penny into it to get the miniature Cadbury's chocs out, all wrapped exactly as a full size bar. Suppose it was a way of getting kids to save. I think there's a miniature model still made today. Thanks Topsy. Viv.

great pic topsy think i posted this one but smaller a few weeks back..this pic is much clearer...if memory serves me right they were at snow hill station awaiting replacements...

lyn

Thanks for that Topsy, absolutely wonderful...what memories. I remember those kitchen cabinets, and singing Nellie the Elephant as I ran around the old streets. Those ruched bathing costumes used to pinch my skin something awful as a child. The lovely 50's dresses with the mass of net underskirts to make them stand out, the only problem was they used to snag the nylon stockings.

Topsy, that was a great piece of film. Much obliged for sharing. Brought back a few memories. Ta.

Back