• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1940. Me Aged 5.

barrie

master brummie
This was me in 1940. I had got the mumps and had been sent to my Uncle Frank's and Aunt Elsie's, but I cried for my Mom so much, they had to take me back to Hockley.

Oh what a sweet little boy you were Barrie and can you remember the dog's name?. Maybe we could all sort out our photo's when we were five and share them?. Thanks for posting it. Jean.

Barrie that has made my day. Alf not in public. Maybe Barrie wouldn't mind me forwarding his message?. I was tickled pink. Jean.

This was taken in 1934 so I would be about 3 or 4 and my sister about 2 or 3, I will be 81 in June and my sister 80 in September, time flies, and so has my hair !!! Eric

Last edited:
I would have been about five in this photo and I am holding the horse with wellies on.:confused: Oh I am wearing the wellies not the horse.:confused: Jean. Taking a closer look I may have been a little older.

Last edited:
I would have been about five in this photo and I am holding the horse with wellies on.:confused: Oh I am wearing the wellies not the horse.:confused: Jean. Taking a closer look I may have been a little older.

That all looks very nice and rural Jean. A nice photo.

here my first picture from school aged 5yrs (1955)

unfortunately i dont have any happy memories from school. i was bullied the whole way through! they knocked the stuffing out of me. (teachers and class mates) did anyone else get bullied?

Last edited:
here my first picture from school aged 5yrs

unfortunately i dont have any happy memories from school. i was bullied the whole way through! they knocked the stuffing out of me. (teachers and class mates) did anyone else get bullied?

That's a lovely photo Shera, how could anyone be unkind to such a sweet looking girl.

I was bullied by a lad who lived on Nursery Road, he made my life hell, he was much bigger than me. When I was home on leave from the army later in life, I met him in Wellesley Street, he didn't look so big any more, so I walked up to him, clouted him and he ran away. Should have done it years before, and I've never allowed anyone to bully me ever since.

Good on you Barrie. Chris love your photo and I too can't imagine anyone bullying you but maybe you were too nice. Jean.

Me aged two and a third, 1938.

Thought the photographer might have had the decency to hitch the nappy up a bit first.

Chris

Don't think io have any from 5, but here I would be about 6. Far right and very fair sitting on the ground.
My sister, a teacher from Canada, who didn't know me till recently, was rather surprised by the political incorrectness of the cowboys and indians theme
mike

Mike_1950ish_C.jpg

here my first picture from school aged 5yrs (1955)

Chris how awful it always seemed to be the kind timid kids who suffered. I wish you had been to my school. I hated bullies and dealt with some on more than one ocassion always helped having big brothers.

Thanks for posting the photo Mike. Wendy I was quite small when I was at school [not much bigger now] but I could look after myself but I was never a bullie.

Chris we obviously had the same hairdresser... lol

Wendy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:D very funny wendy. yours looks a bit smarter than mine though, and i think i was in my big sisters hand-me-downs as well!

Maybe slightly younger than 5. Mom, Sister, and me on a picnic in Sutton Park. Maybe my liking for that wonderful park started from then.

Attachments

• Picnic in Sutton Park.jpg
    Picnic in Sutton Park.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi Barrie,
I like the jug on the grass in front, looks like crock. I think they were served from the tea rooms etc, better than plastic cups - oops they did not have plastic in those days....
Phil...:)

Back