• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1940. Me Aged 5.

Don't think io have any from 5, but here I would be about 6. Far right and very fair sitting on the ground.
My sister, a teacher from Canada, who didn't know me till recently, was rather surprised by the political incorrectness of the cowboys and indians theme
mike

Mike_1950ish_C.jpg

here my first picture from school aged 5yrs (1955)

unfortunately i dont have any happy memories from school. i was bullied the whole way through! they knocked the stuffing out of me. (teachers and class mates) did anyone else get bullied?

Chris how awful it always seemed to be the kind timid kids who suffered. I wish you had been to my school. I hated bullies and dealt with some on more than one ocassion always helped having big brothers.

Thanks for posting the photo Mike. Wendy I was quite small when I was at school [not much bigger now] but I could look after myself but I was never a bullie.

Chris we obviously had the same hairdresser... lol

Wendy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:D very funny wendy. yours looks a bit smarter than mine though, and i think i was in my big sisters hand-me-downs as well!

Maybe slightly younger than 5. Mom, Sister, and me on a picnic in Sutton Park. Maybe my liking for that wonderful park started from then.

Attachments

• Picnic in Sutton Park.jpg
    Picnic in Sutton Park.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi Barrie,
I like the jug on the grass in front, looks like crock. I think they were served from the tea rooms etc, better than plastic cups - oops they did not have plastic in those days....
Phil...:)

:)Phil this was taken in Sutton Park too with mom and dad. Wendy and Chris you look like twins?.:) Ray love your photo too.

Last edited:
A nice uniform Ray but you didn't look too pleased about being in the army.
A bit later in the war I joined the ARP and was looking out for enemy aircraft as shown below...
normal_Tin_Hat.jpg

Me being chauffeured, never hit those heady heights again, probably cos you just can't get the staff...

:)Phil this was taken in Sutton Park too with mom and dad. Wendy and Chris you look like twins?.:) Ray love your photo too.
Can't see your photo Jean, but can see you editing, to get it on.
The one's I put on were already on the forum and I used 'Manage Attachments' to drag them here...:)

Aidan I bet you were the envy of all your friends?. Phil that is the first problem I have had in ages uploading a photo but will try again. Jean. Don't know what went wrong as I am doing nothing different?.

Hi Barrie,
I like the jug on the grass in front, looks like crock. I think they were served from the tea rooms etc, better than plastic cups - oops they did not have plastic in those days....
Phil...:)

I remember one time we were at Sutton Park with our Mom, we went to the tea stall by Banners Gate for a cuppa. There was quite a queue, me and my sister were sent to get the tea, and while we were waiting to be served, we found a half-crown on the floor, so we started to ask people if they had lost it, a lady in the queue told us to take it to our Mom before someone claimed it, so we did. This was just before our Dad came home in 1945, so it was quite a find for those days.

This is me in 1951 age 5 sitting on the window in the back yard of our house in Ford Street. Normally to the side of the picture the enamel bath was hanging up, it must have been took down and put in the kitchen ready for the weekly bath. My brother is next to me with the other two boys on the end being brothers.

Back