• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1939 Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1st bn

I

IanAlton

Hi All,

I am researching my Grandfather Owen James Alton (Jim) who joined the 1st bn Royal Warwickshire Rgt in October 1939. He was then posted briefly to Deolali before advancing into Burma.
His army number was 5114647 and his rank was Regimental Sgt Major.
He served under Lt Col A.C. Hordern.
Upon joining the army, Jim's trade was as Transport driver (Heavy) he went on to Mechanic, carrier and MT sgt, anti tank & Mortar Sgt
I have lots of images of my Grandfathers batallion if anyone else has relatives who served with Jim, I would gladly scan and email copies.
Sadly Jim died from cancer in 1969 (7 yrs before my birth) and Dad died in 2006 (leukeamia) so I have no family to ask about my Grandfather.

When my Dad was a boy, I remember him telling me that as a family they lived at 'the council house' in Birmingham under the clock? Does this make sense to anyone?

Please feel free to message me and I'll get back to you

Cheers

Ian Alton :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian thanks for the offer of scanning your pics:)I am sure that most of the members would love to see them:):) not sure about the council house under the clock but I bet someone on the forum will be along to help soon:)

Hello Ian,I was very interested to read of your grandfather.My grandfather Thomas Hogan was also in the Royal Warwickshires,but died in 1939.I hope someone can help you .Mary

Hi Mary, Im so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I bet you are still as proud of him, as I am of mine! Worcester? Just down the road from me then!

Cant help you with the 1st btn but this comes close.
My father was also an RSM in the R W R

Nice to hear from you Mike. The book I bought 'The history of the Royal Warwickshire Rgt 1919-1955' by Marcus Cunliffe is worth purchasing. I have found out so much about 1st Bn out in Burma. Love the pics you attached :)

Cant help you with the 1st btn but this comes close.
My father was also an RSM in the R W R

Mike how lovely you still have this card......it speaks volumes. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Its the 1940's weekend on the Severn Valley Railway this weekend. Just been down to Bridgnorth station and managed to get a complete set of Royal Warwickshire tunic buttons! Could anyone possibly tell me, were all the 1st Batallion called the Birmingham Batallion?

Many thanks

Ian

hi all
Was this the battalion that the lads murdered by the Waffen SS, came from and the reminents went on to Dunkirk?
regards
paul stacey

Hi Paul. I have just read of the part played by the 1st bn in WWII. They seemed to spend a majority of their time in Waziristan, Meerut, Rangoon and a brief spell in Burma, otherwise 'flitting' from place to place, but no mention of Dunkirk between 1939-1945. Maybe 2nd Battalion?

hi Ian
thanks for the reply, I remember as a young man when a member of the Royal Waricks ACF in brum being told of the massacre of the POW's RWR.
regards
paul

Hello Ian,sorry I missed your reply thankyou for your kind words regarding my grandfather.He was still serving in the R.W's but was very ill in 1939 and Mom believed it was the pressure he was under that killed him.He did not die in battle but from what I have been told I am proud of him.Mary

Its the 1940's weekend on the Severn Valley Railway this weekend. Just been down to Bridgnorth station and managed to get a complete set of Royal Warwickshire tunic buttons! Could anyone possibly tell me, were all the 1st Batallion called the Birmingham Batallion?

Many thanks

Ian
Hi Ian, it was the Royal Warwickshire 14th, 15th & 16th (Service) Battalions that were named the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Birmingham Battalions.

Chucka

Hi Ian, my father Richard Holland was in the R W R too. He first joined at 18 in 1926 for just under 8yrs, so when war was declared in 1939, he was one of the first to be shipped out. When he landed with his battalion in France, the Germans were waiting, and he and another comrade were the only two captured alive. They were taken as POW's to Stalag V111b in Lamsdorf Poland. I've attached a photo which was sent to my mother. He is sitting 1st Left, second row.

Hi Ian,It was interesting to read about your grandfather,my father was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment from 1939-45.His army no. was 5116582.He was a private and served in india and madagascar where he was wounded and came home,i do not know much more about his army days,but have tried to attach a photo but doing something wrong.He was from summer lane,aston which i have been researching.
Alan Joesbury

I have now found the information I was lookin for on my Grandfather which leaves me with a copy of 'History of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1919-1955, by Marcus Cunliffe' These books can fetch up to £100 on the net but if anyone wants it, I am open to sensible offers. There are a few photo's in the book of the various battalions at war and a foreward by Field Marshall Montgomery.
Drop me a PM, if I've heard nothing within a week I'll just stick it on Ebay, thought id give you guys first shout tho.

Ian

Hi Ian,It was interesting to read about your grandfather,my father was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment from 1939-45.His army no. was 5116582.He was a private and served in india and madagascar where he was wounded and came home,i do not know much more about his army days,but have tried to attach a photo but doing something wrong.He was from summer lane,aston which i have been researching.
Alan Joesbury

Hello Alan I am trying to find out details of my father who served in the RWR I can not find any service records on the usual sites. My Father also came from Summer Lane. He Was married to my mother in 1942 and then lived in Smith Street B/ham. His Name was David Robinson I think he went on to serve with the Territorials according to his medals. David Robinson

Back