• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1939 Register

Macca

master brummie
Hi Macca I had this problem try searching by persons name, it must be some one who was born pre 1915, I suppose you know that. good Luck. Michael,

Hi Michael,

The people I was searching for were born in the 1880's, even so if you do an address search the street should come up. Hopefully these glitches will be ironed out as time goes on.

Macca

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I think they will rely upon the customers to find all the bugs, as they did with previous censuses. They're not alone in this as Microsoft use exactly the same system!

Maurice

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Macca I had this problem try searching by persons name, it must be some one who was born pre 1915, I suppose you know that. good Luck. Michael,
As I understand it from apost elsewhere, if you can produce proff that a person has died, even if born after 1915, they will allow you to see the records

mhemery

master brummie
That's true Mike, but as I read it you have to have unlocked an address (paid to see) before you can apply to have a closed record opened, and you cannot search for a closed record, I may be wrong but that's how I read it, all the best Michael.Screenshot (32),,.jpg

geofred

master brummie
The answer to your question Dave is - yes. It's very interesting but certainly not worth £6+ to view each household. Maybe enough of us refused to buy the credits they had no alternative but to offer it as part of the subscription - Power to the subscribers!!!!!!!

farmerdave

master brummie
The answer to your question Dave is - yes. It's very interesting but certainly not worth £6+ to view each household. Maybe enough of us refused to buy the credits they had no alternative but to offer it as part of the subscription - Power to the subscribers!!!!!!!
My understanding was that if you paid for a year's subscription to "Find My Past" then you didn't have to pay £6, or anything, to view each household. I believe that this change may have only come in on February 16th. Subsequent to my earlier post, my wife accessed the 1939 register this afternoon and viewed various households without being asked to pay anything over and above her year's subscription. Dave.

JaneMTaylor

knowlegable brummie
Hi all

I have an ancestry account and today I noticed a hint for one of my uncles. After opening it I found that it shows a 1939 census which appears to show that my uncle was an evacuee. I will be asking this question to my only other surviving uncle (his brother) but he may not know as he was born in 1940. I am intrigued to know what the numbers mean on the census though. Any ideas? I have only been able to trace his return to Birmingham in a 1955 midlands census (so he would be approx 25 years old)

upload_2018-8-22_11-28-44.png

Jane

pjmburns

master brummie
If you go right or left and find a page with the top line showing you should be able to see the column headings. I think it is - schedule, number for each person in the house, then date of birth and year born.

MWS

master brummie
As he is an evacuee could it be a reference to his actual address, where his parents were living.

But probably not, there are similar references next to people who weren't evacuated.

Last edited: