• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1939 Register

Hughes

master brummie
It has just come up on my computer details of the 1939 census will be on Find my Past web site on 2 Nov 2015
Good viewing
John Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon4130

master brummie
Re: 1939 Census

I got this notification as well and was quite surprised as I thought there was a 100 year rule governing such things, the reason why we are still waiting for the likes of the 1921 census. Should be very interesting reading.

Simon

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

just to clarify that it is called a register not a census..until recently i had no idea that we will never see the 31 and 41 census so i guess this is why this 1939 register is so very important...this is what i received from FMP..

Why is the 1939 Register so significant?
The 1931 census was destroyed and the 1941 census was never taken, making the 1939 Register the only surviving record of the people of England and Wales in the 30 years 1921-1951, and the closest likeness to a census from that period.
Previously only available physically, the information in this 1939 Register, including names, addresses, occupations, marital statusesand more, will be available for you to explore on Findmypast in just a few days’ time.
This release is the result of over a year’s work carried out by a team of hundreds who – in association with The National Archives – have conserved, scanned, transcribed and digitised over 1.2 million pagesfrom 7,000 volumes.

bewdley

master brummie

I have received an email from FMP too and was disappointed to see that there will be a charge of £6.95 per household to view. Below is a copy of part of the email.

Pricing
Records will be available to purchase for £6.95 per household or£24.95 for our 5 household bundle (£4.99 per household).
As an early 1939 signup, we will send you an exclusive code soon which will entitle you to 10% off our 5 household bundle.

I found this answer on their FAQ page
Can I unlock a 1939 Register household with my subscription?

Answer:

The 1939 Register is no ordinary record set, and bringing you the most significant family history release of the decade has taken a team of hundreds over a year.
Our accuracy on this record set is over 98.5% of readable records, meaning a lengthy quality assurance process, and we have developed new methods of automatically closing the records of those people who are living and younger than 100 years and one day.
In addition, unlocking a household in the 1939 Register doesn’t just grant you access to a record and image. In this, our richest record set ever, when you unlock a household you will also unlock rich, exclusive content giving you an insight into the world of 1939.
Maps will demonstrate how local areas have changed, never-before-online photos related to the individual’s life will add context to their record, we’ll use the numbers in the Register to show a breakdown of the local area, and local and national newspapers will bring 1939 to life like never before.
It is because of the above, and because the 1939 Register is such a special record set that we’re unable to include the 1939 Register in our users’ subscriptions. We have worked to ensure that the cost of unlocking a household in the Register is the best possible value to our users, and we hope that everyone, both existing users and those new to Findmypast, make new and fascinating discoveries in the 1939 Register, the only surviving record of the entire civil population of England and Wales between 1921 and 1951.

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member

In other word you pay through the nose for a lot of extra information which was probably not what you were looking for

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

mike with all the households i would want to look at and at those prices per household i wont be bothering...could not afford it...i thought it would be included in the normal subscription on FMP but it is a seperate payment to view..it would not be so bad if they were charging £6.95 for a months subs to view the entire register but unless i am reading it wrong this is a rip off

lyn

Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie

Disappointing but I would not be able to justify the expense. so I won't be bothering.

Janice

rosie

brummie

I wondered if they were having vouchers as they did when 1911 became available?
On top of a subscription it seem expensive, too much for me! My sub. lapsed some time ago, I prefer Ancestry but I doubt they will have it yet.
rosie.

Jayell

master brummie

I was so looking forward to Monday's release of the 1939 Register, and although I have a subscription to Ancestry, I was going to take out a minimum subscription to FMP just to be able to look at these records. However, if you have to pay £6.95 per household on top of the subscription, forget it! I certainly won't be doing that. Very disappointing.

Millie

master brummie

I guessed there would be an extra charge for access, same as what happened initially with the 1911 census, but I didn't imagine it would be soooo expensive.

I'm another one who won't be bothering yet - I've plenty to be going on with till it gets absorbed into the main site databases.

MWS

master brummie

Very disappointing. Looks like I'll be another who won't be bothering.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie

Very disappointing. Looks like I'll be another who won't be bothering.

Same here. It will be interesting to see if many pay up. If not they may have to reduce the price (well we can but hope!)

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie

1939 - well I was 2 years old then, so it is, for me, not as if I am exploring 200 years ago, and rather expensive. If in Brum, Tony Abrahams' Electoral Rolls & Trade Directories are much better value for money. It would have to be something very very special to entice me to use the 1939 Registers as a source.

Maurice

mhemery

master brummie

Hi All, Had a dabble with the 1939 census, Not impressed cost me 24.95 for 5 households, but you do not have to be a subscriber, its pay as you go. But in general not Happy I got my moneys worth. MIchael.
PS. Just my opinion.

oldMohawk

master brummie
I'm one of the diminishing band of people who was registered and still have my identity card shown below. I have blurred out some information. The card was required to obtain ration books and I have memories of long queues in the 'Food Office' (now Baskerville House) with my mom obtaining the ration books. The card was probably stamped every time a ration book was issued.
P1030400 .JPG_P1030399.jpg

Macca

master brummie
hi

There are entire streets missing off the register, they may have been mis-transcribed. Hazelbeach Rd, Clipston Rd, Farndon Rd and Foxton Rd in Alum Rock were all built around 1909 and are still standing today. I emailed FMP and received an automated reply stating that the addresses may not have existed in 1939 or may have changed name! Oh well!

Macca

mhemery

master brummie
Hi Macca I had this problem try searching by persons name, it must be some one who was born pre 1915, I suppose you know that. good Luck. Michael,