• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1939 Register Look Up

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks could someone kindly look up the 1939 register for me please...would like to know who lived at numbers 7 to 15 and also 4/12 paddington st...the family names i hope to find are sanford..wood and moseley...

many thanks for any help

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Lyn,

4/12 - Joan M HOWARD (WOOD) Born 13 Jan 1925 - Warehouse clerk Jeweller - single

I'll do some more shortly - just about to eat.

Maurice

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks maurice..there should be more living at 4/12 joan was my auntie but im a bit confused as to why shes down as howard (wood being her maiden name) howard was her married name but she would only have been 14 in 1939..

lyn

bewdley

master brummie
Hi Lyn, below should explain why.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

6. Why do some entries show women’s married names, when they did not marry until long after 1939?
The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record-keeping was discontinued.

Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.

The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Sorry Lyn, there is also the following at 4/12 plus two closed records

Lily WOOD - Born 12 January 1891 - Office Cleaner - widow

Maurice

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
8 - Charles H. WOOD - Born 30 August 1889 - Phosphor bronze sand caster - married
Mary E. WOOD - Born 10 August 1880 - Coremaker brass - married

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
There doesn't appear to be a 9 only 9/66 with a family called CLARK

10 - Alfred S. ALLEN - Born 26 October 1879 - Fitters labourer machine - married
Ellen L. ALLEN - Born 25 June 1880 - Office cleaner - married

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks maurice just jotting these down...the 2 closed records for 4/12 would be our mom and her other sister..

thanks for that info bewdley..most useful to know that..

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
11 - George F. DAVIS - Born 24 March 1900 - Coal merchant retail Heavy Worker - married
Gladys (Caroline Ann) DAVIS - Born 10 June 1902 - Hand press & spot welding (Lamp) - Married

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
There doesn't appear to be a 9 only 9/66 with a family called CLARK

10 - Alfred S. ALLEN - Born 26 October 1879 - Fitters labourer machine - married
Ellen L. ALLEN - Born 25 June 1880 - Office cleaner - married

how strange thats theres no number 9 maurice..could be the house was empty at that time then

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I'll email you the images later, Lyn. - Next one

12 - Frederick (Albert) SANDFORD - Born 2 July 1867 - Retired - Married
Ada SANDFORD - Born 19 Dec 1868 - Unpaid domestic - Married
Amos SANDFORD - Born 3 March 1891 - Spray painter - Single
Ivy E. HALE (SANDFORD) - Born 4 October 1908 - Hand press work - Single
Norman HALE (SANDFORD) - 28 December 1937 - Under school age

No sign of a Mr HALE - could be in the services

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
13 - some of the second initials are doubtful

Alfred L ALLBUTT - Born 26 June 1899 - Steel tube annealer (Heavy work) - married
Amy ALLBUTT - Born 22 January 1896 - Unpaid domestic - Married
Albert L. ALLBUTT - Born 20 December 1920 - Stamper (Military buttons) Heavy work - Single
-CLOSED-
-CLOSED-
Florence ALLBUTT (WHAACOCK) - Born 13 November 1934 - under school age
-CLOSED-

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
14 - Elsie M. LANGFORD - Born 16 Dec 1894 - Power press hand - Married
Lily LANGFORD - Born 25 May 1927 - At school - Single
-CLOSED-
Maud MOSSELEY - Born 18 October 1905 - Presshand pensioner - Single

No sign of a Mr LANGFORD

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
15 - Ernest W. MOSELEY - Born 1 April 1896 - General labourer - Married
Ellen MOSELEY - Born 5 December 1898 - Soft solderer - Widowed
-CLOSED-
-CLOSED-

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Lyn,

That seems to be it and definitely no number 9. I'll email the images to you, but it might be tomorrow now as time is ticking on here (11.25pm as I write this)

Maurice

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
5 - Frederick S. SANDFORD - Born 28 July 1900 - Roller assistant non-ferrous - Married
Martha SANDFORD - Born 21 January 190? - Unpaid domestic - Married
Amos E. SANDFORD- Born 13 November 1927 - At school - Single
-CLOSED-
-CLOSED-
-CLOSED-

Images on their way shortly.

Maurice

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i would just like to thank maurice for searching the 39 register for me..bit of a story to this one..i knew that my nan (dads mom) was evacuated from hockley to stratford where she gave birth to dads youngest brother anthony at the end of 39..the other children were sent to wales...according to what the family have told me the lord mayor of stratford became anthonys godparent...i would love to know how this came about...what is amazing is nan was living with a family at no 3 brewery st stratford and the house is still there..i must pay a visit asap..its the grey door with the pointy windows:)

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1...4!1sipnGnc6WQtS2AkaoskxO_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656