• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1921 Primary Schools Moseley

RhomaKay

proper brummie kid
Hi all, I've found my father living with foster parents at 87 Brook Lane, Moseley on the 1921 census and it says he was at school. He would have been six at the time. The school at Billesley didn't open until Nov 1925 and it only took ages 5-9 and my Dad would have been 10 by then. My Dad was collected by his biological mother around age 8 and he went to live in Tindal Street, Balsall Heath. He then went to Dennis Road, Public School. Does anyone know what the closest primary school would have been to Brook Lane in the 1920's.
thanking you in advance
RhomaKay

Hall Green on Stratford Road?
Springfield Primary on junction of College Road and Springfield Road?
No idea when they opened but buildings are old.

Hall Green on Stratford Road?
Springfield Primary on junction of College Road and Springfield Road?
No idea when they opened but buildings are old.
Thank you so much Janice, I'll check them out. It can be so hard trying to research my Brummie ancestry from across the world in Australia.

I live not far from Brook Lane - drive along it most weeks.
It will probably be impossible to prove as many old school records no longer exist and those that do are subject to 100 year closure. That is 100 years for the youngest person in the record book.

From British History Online

HALL GREEN COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Straford Road. Hall Green Bd. Sch. opened 1893 by Yardley Sch. Bd. Accom. 240 G, I, with teacher's house. Hall Green (Temporary) Bd. Sch. closed when it opened. Reorganized for M, I on closing of Hall Green Yardley Charity Sch. 1898. Enlarged 1925–9 (total accom. 420).) Enlarged and reorganized 1930 for JM, I.(21) Accom. 1961: 17 classrooms, 2 halls.

Last edited:
What is now Springfield school was apparently called:

COLLEGE ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Moseley. College Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1900 by Yardley Sch. Bd. Had cookery centre. Accom. 1,130 B, G, I. Enlarged 1905.Hall used to accom. 80, 1932–5. Reorganized 1934 for SM, JM, I. SM dept. became a separate sch. . Accom. 1961: 20 classrooms, 3 halls.

Last edited:
Having posted those I have now looked at where 87 Brook Lane is and think it more likely the school would have been in the other direction towards Kings Heath.
Possibly
KING'S HEATH COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, High Street. King's Heath Bd. Sch. opened 1878 (25) by King's Norton Sch. Bd. Accom. 493 B, G, I. Fees 1d.–3d. Accom. for 298 used 1885–95 in former King's Heath National Sch. Site enlarged 1890 and new JM block, accom. 316, opened 1895. Enlarged (420 extra accom.) 1900. Bd. of Ed. demanded substantial improvements in premises 1912. Altered and reorganized 1915 for B, G, I and 1928–30 for SB, JM, I. Site enlarged 1934. Closed 1939 on opening of Wheeler's Lane Council Sch. Former I block (built 1895) reopened 1949 for JI. Other block repaired and opened 1951 for JM, I dept. remaining in smaller block. Accom. 1961: 16 classrooms, 2 halls.

This building no longer exists although the school does - in different premises.

Thank you so much Janice,
you've certainly given me some homework to do. I'm going to see if I can find out what year my Dad started at Dennis Road Public School because that might also tell me where he transferred from.
I really appreciate your time and effort, maps and all!
Kind regards
Rhoma

hi rhoma do you know that we have a thread for dennis road school with photos taken at the time your dad was there so for all we know he maybe in the photos...click on link below to take you to the thread but start reading it from post one so that you do not miss anything

lyn

hi rhoma do you know that we have a thread for dennis road school with photos taken at the time your dad was there so for all we know he maybe in the photos...click on link below to take you to the thread but start reading it from post one so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Thank you Lyn, I have the photo of the art class at Dennis Road School posted on the thread in 2017. When I showed it to my Dad in 1996 he said that it had been his exact class room. Unfortunately my Dad was running away from something or someone after WW2 and he came to Australia with my mother and sister. He was not happy that I was researching the family history. He was frightened of what I would find. I'm still chipping away at the reasons.
thank you for your help
Rhoma

Back