• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1920s Motor Cars.

Ray, they are from a set of books that are still around if you are lucky enough to get them. They are compiled by Robert Opie and they start with Victorian, then Edwardian, followed by 1910, I am still trying to get those three. I have 20s. 30s. Wartime and 40s. then another three I will buy when I see them are the 50s, 60s and the Royal Family scrapbook.
They are quite large with hard covers so I can not scan the entire page which means there is more in them than I can post. Each section has a very informative and interesting paragraph about the contents.

Nothing today bears any real likeness to a few decades ago, that is why I like this forum so much.

Amazing pictures as usual Stitcher. I don't suppose Robert Opie did a book on public transport by any chance? The odd page or two perhaps ...

Hello Thylacine, as far as I know all his works are about stages in time and the contents are what was about at that time. I doubt he did much on specific items or subjects apart from the one called the royal family scrapbook. I have a page in the 20s book but it is mainly about London and the images are mainly advertising. I will post that page next for you.

lloo.jpeg
The 100,000th Austin 7 comes off the production Line at Longbridge. 1929

ga.jpeg
1927, 3 litre Sunbeam super sports open top tourer.
This beatiful car picture was in todays newspaper.

austin 2 - Copy.jpeg

Another one with no information other that it is a workshop in the Austin works at Longbridge.

Not sure of the actual vintage of these four Austin cars standing in a row in Cobham, Surrey, yesterday. Dave.
IMG_20190427_104520289_HDR (2).jpgIMG_20190427_104606144_HDR (2).jpg

It seems to be a section featuring Austin motor cars: a marque I have had many of, my first being a 1935 Austin 12 with a London registration. Lovely selection of old cars indeed.
The DL registered car is an Isle of Wight registration probably 1934 or early 1935. The CWL one is an Oxford registration introduced in 1936.

Yes a nice range of Austins I would say from 1930 -1937 I restored a 1933 Austin 10 Tourer.
Someone had done some serious bodging on it and as always a lot of work sorting it out :)

In the latest issue of "The Automobile" (August.2019. p.36-40) there is an article on the coachbuilders Gordon & Co, of Sparkbrook, and, in particular, their Austin Pixie

In the latest issue of "The Automobile" (August.2019. p.36-40) there is an article on the coachbuilders Gordon & Co, of Sparkbrook, and, in particular, their Austin Pixie
I didnt know the Automobile still existed with free website advertising like carandclassic i,m surprised Automobile can survive but pleased to here it has.

Is it now in Australia ? or did you post that from your iphone
when I posted as attachment it showed upside down so I posted full image it showed right way up. I posted from my Ipad I dont know why it posted first upside down sorry about that, no its in the UK now in Sussex

Last edited by a moderator:
That was meant as a joke. We have had a number of people previously who have posted photos upside down from an ipad.
I have tried to repost the right way up and accidentally deleted your post.
Repost here, but still upside down

image.jpeg

R/h drive ? that comes as a surprise 1925 Ford was building cars for the export market keeping in mind once you left most city's in the USA you were driving on wagon trails with big ruts, now that needs some research how many model t's were sent to England or were they built here ?, how do the numbers stack up to Austin 7's who back then must have been the largest or one of the largest motor car makers in the UK.

when I posted as attachment it showed upside down so I posted full image it showed right way up. I posted from my Ipad I dont know why it posted first upside down sorry about that, no its in the UK now in Sus
lovely old car

lyn
Thanks , its got some Birmingham history to it and thank and appreciation to Carolina who sent me some 1960s photos of my car when it was used for her brothers wedding , how about that :) I,m eternaly grateful!
My post used to post correct way up but one day they went toppsy turvey and I dont know why !
Is it now in Australia ? or did you post that from your iphone
hi Do you know how i can correct my pics from appearing upside down , it dosent do that on facebook. .
lovely old car

lyn
R/h drive ? that comes as a surprise 1925 Ford was building cars for the export market keeping in mind once you left most city's in the USA you were driving on wagon trails with big ruts, now that needs some research how many model t's were sent to England or were they built here ?, how do the numbers stack up to Austin 7's who back then must have been the largest or one of the largest motor car makers in the UK.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    722.4 KB · Views: 6
My post used to post correct way up but one day they went toppsy turvey and I dont know why !

hi Do you know how i can correct my pics from appearing upside down , it dosent do that on facebook. .
Hi See photo showing 1925 Model t built at Trafford Park, showing amount built in that year, not sure how that compares with Austin numbers, The first dealership for my one was E,French. Poole in Dorset. Next know dealership 1964 was Burgess and Garfield,Birmingham. I,m pleased it got to Birmingham:)

Back