• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Absent Voters List

Phoebe

Half a Brummie
Please, is anyone willing and able to see if my great-uncle can be found on the 1918 Absent Voters List?

His name was Stephen Wood, and his address in 1911 was 36 court 5 house, Park Lane, Aston Manor. He may of course have moved, but there were several branches of the family around Aston, so any address for a Stephen Wood may provide a clue.

I haven't so far seen a second name recorded for him, but Benbow often crops up as a middle name in the family.

Hi Phoebe.

Have checked the address from 1912 to 1935, there isn't a Stephen Wood there.

1918 Absent Voters List;
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen John Wood. 180 St Vincents Street. Ladywood Ward.

53003 Driver 3rd Signal Company. Indian Army Corps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry couldn't help any more.

Barrie

Thanks very much, Barrie!

I don't know for sure if he served in WWI, but most men of his age did. And if I'd had to have a flutter on his unit, I'd have gone for Signals, as he was an electric fitter according to the census.

It sounds promising, and his Wood grandfather was a John. Something to investigate.

Edited to add: got the MIC for the chap you found, he was Royal Engineers and went to Hedjaz (Laurence of Arabia country) in 1915. Hope his service record turns up.

The voting age was 21 in them days. So there would also be quite a lot of young men not included in the Absent Voters List.

Terry

Hi Terry

Yes, that's important to remember. My Stephen was born in 1887, so he ought to be listed (if he did in fact serve abroad).

Cheers (you may know me as Greyhound elsewhere ;))

1918 Absent Voters List.

I am looking for the service details of my great Uncles,both were in the 1st world war and I have traced them on the above voters list.The are Thomas Henry Shepherd service number 104294,private 174 Lab Corps.

Also Samuel Lea Shepherd service number 88 Rfn 10 RB. I would like to find out the name of the regiments and their service records if possible or any other information about them. Also,I would like to know where to start looking for this information.

Zippy

barrie.

These are exactly the records I have been looking for, how on earth did you find these so quickly.I have been looking for these for ages and I am realy indebted to you.
As you have found these for me,how do I now find the service records for them.I have made copies of these documents for my research.
Regards Zippy

Hi Zippy.

The medal cards are off "Ancestry", as for the service records, thats where the problem is. Two thirds of all WWI service records were lost to fire in WWII, very few have survived.

I have checked for you, and neither of your ancester records have survived I'm afraid

Barrie.

barrie.
Thank you for taking the trouble to help me, even though I cannot progress any further with their military records this information has helped me quite a lot.At least I now know I have the correct brothers and can now proceed with my search.

kind regards Zippy

Don't give up just yet - you can do more!

The index cards you have give references (those funny codes) to the original medal rolls, which carry more information including the man's unit. They are not online, but can be accessed at the National Archives. Once you have his unit, you can trace where they went and what they did.

The army service records for surnames beginning S are not online yet, and those that have survived are on microfilm, also at Kew.

Hi Zippy

There is a Samuel Lee Shepherd born 1893 Aston on Ancestry in the pension records.

regards

Suzanne

Barrie

Thanks for posting that for me. I couldn't figure out how to do it!

Suzanne

Barrie, Chris and Suzanne.
I would like to thank you all for this information and the time and trouble you have taken for me .I am looking on Ancestry to follow up all your leads and have already had some success.I will keep on to this and will let you know how I get on.I have some more questions to ask you all later and will come back in due course.

Thanks again all of you.
Zippy

I am trying to determine whether a soldier by the name of Frank Whitting is the same chap that appears as father on a 1916 Birmingham birth certificate. He may have lived in the Garrison Lane area.

If anyone has a copy of the 1918 Birmingham Absent Voters List, would they mind seeing if they could find a person of this name? (And if so, confirming what his regiment, number etc were).

Chris

No Frank Whitting is coming up for 1918
Plenty of Whiting's but not with first name of Frank.

Suzanne

Out of the whole electoral search only 2 mentions of a Frank Whitting and that is in 1935 Cole Bank Rd and Stratford Rd.
Sorry I know this doesn't help though.

Suzanne

Hello i wonder if any can help me, im looking for to relatives who may have served in the great war, and might be in the bham absent voters list 1918-19

Edward Hughes royal warwickshire ? 4 Farm Place Wellesley Street, all saints
or any other edward hughes from all saints, hockley, aston area

William Simons 78 gladshill road, saltley.

many thanks
Kevan

Hi

There's only one William Simons appearing in 1918 and he is at Hope Works, Sampson Rd, Sparkbrook Ward. 77147, 1st AM, 46 Wing, RAF
Can't see an Edward Hughes at Wellesley Street.

Suzanne

william simons (address hope works, sampson rd. sparkhill) no. 77147 1st A.M. 46 wing RAF

the only one i can see for royal warks is this one

albert edward hughes no. 22802 pte. 9th R. WAR. Regiment address 86 lawley street. duddeston and nechels ward.

Hi there,found this one?
Brookvale Rd "Allotments"
Hughes, Edward. (Abode 4 Farm place,Wellesley street)

Hello Linda
many thanks for info, you have found him for me, i know he was at this address in 1924 as it on his wedding cert, can you tell me what regiment he was in and service number.

thanks again
kevan

Hi there,found this one?
Brookvale Rd "Allotments"
Hughes, Edward. (Abode 4 Farm place,Wellesley street)

yes edward hughes was born in 1897 Aston.

i would just like to know details on abscent voters list, if you have them
thanks
kevan

That's all there was!
I'm not sure what Brookvale Rd allotments were used for in First World War! But there was a long alphabetical list of men with their home address in brackets,on the Electoral Roll!
Maybe one of our Military/1st World War experts will be able to tell us!

Back