• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1901 Census

GER22VAN

master brummie
I am still searching for Joseph Leonard Goldsbury on the 1901 Census and I seem to have tried every variation of spelling that I can think of. He would have been about 5 to 6 years old.
I am so frustrated at not being able to find him. Can someone help me Please.

smtr

master brummie
Ger22van

Did you find him on the 1911? Only one I could find was a Leonard J Goldsbury B1895 Bham aged 16 living at Gordon Hall Boy's Home, 20 High Street, Deritend but no luck in the 1901:( Did he have siblings and what were his parents called?

Suzanne

suemalings

master brummie
I found the birth registration of Joseph Leonard Goldsbury - Aston June qtr 1895. I also checked all Goldsbury's registered in Aston around that date, as it could give an idea of siblings. However the previous was 1880 and the next 1902. So unless Free BMD is not updated, is there a possibility that Josph's mother may not have been married?

GER22VAN

master brummie
I found the birth registration of Joseph Leonard Goldsbury - Aston June qtr 1895. I also checked all Goldsbury's registered in Aston around that date, as it could give an idea of siblings. However the previous was 1880 and the next 1902. So unless Free BMD is not updated, is there a possibility that Josph's mother may not have been married?

Very Very Sorry not to have answered these posts, I did not know my Uncle Joseph which is why I have tried to find out everything about him on records. I thank everyone who have tried to help me on this thread and other threads.Its just a mystery why he is not on the 1901 Census. I am lost now to know where to search further.

carolina

master brummie
There is a Joseph L Goldsbury on the 1919 electoral roll - address shown as 5 Court 46, Windsor Street. Nechells/Duddeston. Also noted as 1st South Staffs.

GER22VAN

master brummie
There is a Joseph L Goldsbury on the 1919 electoral roll - address shown as 5 Court 46, Windsor Street. Nechells/Duddeston. Also noted as 1st South Staffs.

Thank You so much carolina, I do not quite understand if he could have been on the 1919 electoral roll as he died on the 26th October 1917. Once Again Many Thanks for your reply Carolina. Ernie .

sistersue61

master brummie
Ernie, did he die whilst on active service do you know?
There is a Joseph Goldsbbury with 26-10-17 as date of death, entered battle on 17-12-14 in France, won the Victory medal in france roll7/101/35 p540 and the Star in 1915 roll F/2B2 p155.
He is listed as killed in action in France and Flanders Western Front.
He was aPrivate in 1st batallion South Staffs regiment, no 11071.
I can't see any next of kin or address details on Ancestry, but other members have FMP and broader access to Ancestry, they may be able to help more.
If I do find anything else, will let you know.
Sue

GER22VAN

master brummie
Ernie, did he die whilst on active service do you know?
There is a Joseph Goldsbbury with 26-10-17 as date of death, entered battle on 17-12-14 in France, won the Victory medal in france roll7/101/35 p540 and the Star in 1915 roll F/2B2 p155.
He is listed as killed in action in France and Flanders Western Front.
He was aPrivate in 1st batallion South Staffs regiment, no 11071.
I can't see any next of kin or address details on Ancestry, but other members have FMP and broader access to Ancestry, they may be able to help more.
If I do find anything else, will let you know.
Sue

Sue, I went to Kew record office some years ago to obtain records of his war Medals, I think there was a page missing about the the Star in 1915 roll although I did not report it at the time. As you say F/282 p155, I would loved to know the information that I did not get at the time.
Sue Thank You So Much For The Information Given.

bewdley

master brummie
There is a J Goldsbury named in the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour (1920) page 467.
Roll of Honour.
GOLD & CO. (Birmingham) LTD. SWAN HINGE WORKS, LOVE LANE, BIRMINGHAM.
Included in the List of Men who joined H. M. Forces. J. GOLDSBURY, 1st South Staffs.
I hope this is useful to you. I have tried to post an image of the page to site, but no luck so far, if anyone can help me with posting I would be grateful.

GER22VAN

master brummie
There is a J Goldsbury named in the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour (1920) page 467.
Roll of Honour.
GOLD & CO. (Birmingham) LTD. SWAN HINGE WORKS, LOVE LANE, BIRMINGHAM.
Included in the List of Men who joined H. M. Forces. J. GOLDSBURY, 1st South Staffs.
I hope this is useful to you. I have tried to post an image of the page to site, but no luck so far, if anyone can help me with posting I would be grateful.

bewdley, Thank you so much , I was aware but still thank you- I found it in old reference books- Military- City Battalions -Reference Number L75.9 375874 page 467Gold &Co (Birmingham ) Ltd.
Once Again Many Thanks.

GER22VAN

master brummie
I thank everyone for information in the past, Merry Christmas Everyone.
Still not found him on the 1901 Census
Star in 1915 roll F/2B2 p155.( have not got this info )