• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Blower.

MILLS

master brummie
I'm trying to trace the whereabouts of Joseph Blower in 1901.
He was born around 1883/4 in Birmingham. Father is Joseph and mother is Nerith. Also seems to be known as Sarah.
He marries Florence Hudson on 24 December, 1902 at St Stephens Church he is listed as a solider. Pte Joseph Blower, 7275, Worcestershire Regiment, enlisting on 23 October, 1902. Found him on 1891 census and again on 1911 Census but nothing for 1901?
He died in 1933. He had a son, Joseph born May, 1914, baptised in June, 1914 and died before 1911 Census.
Any help would be much appreciated.
David

Can't see anything. Could he have enlisted previously?
Couldn't find anything to suggest that. I believe both parents died around this time and I also noted that all siblings seem to disappear too.
I found a reference to the name Bloor but that didn't lead me anywhere.
Didn't get any leads to the Workhouse either.

Have you traced his service record to see if that sheds any light on matters? It could just be that if they were in upheaval after the death of a parent and possibly moving they got missed off the census.

I think I found his father and some siblings in 1901 and 1911. His father seems to have remarried.

One sister also appears to be missing from 1901 census. She appears to have an illegitimate daughter in 1900ish before marrying in May 1901. Not sure if that's relevant.

Have you traced his service record to see if that sheds any light on matters? It could just be that if they were in upheaval after the death of a parent and possibly moving they got missed off the census.
No records been found. He received a silver wound badge and discharged in 1916. That is pretty much all I know.

I think I found his father and some siblings in 1901 and 1911. His father seems to have remarried.

One sister also appears to be missing from 1901 census. She appears to have an illegitimate daughter in 1900ish before marrying in May 1901. Not sure if that's relevant.
I also found the sister and her marriage. Didn't come across any other siblings or the father. Can you point me in the right direction please? Ancestry or Findmypast?
Thank you.

In Aston in 1901, Joseph is listed as a Fruiterer & greengrocer. With wife Mary (Gwynne, m1899) and children Henry, Emma, Jane & Alfred.

Children match 1891 census except Emma who may have been listed wrongly.

In Birmingham in 1911, a widower, with Henry, Jane, Alfred and others. He's listed as a wooden box maker.

Elder Joseph seems to have had a few run ins with the law.

In Aston in 1901, Joseph is listed as a Fruiterer & greengrocer. With wife Mary (Gwynne, m1899) and children Henry, Emma, Jane & Alfred.

In Birmingham in 1911, a widower, with Henry, Jane, Alfred and others. He's listed as a wooden box maker.

Elder Joseph seems to have had a few run ins with the law.
Thank you.
I will have a search this evening.
Are you referring to the father and the police? If so a pointer would be appreciated.

The father. There are 7 newspaper articles from 1890 & 1891 (Birmingham Mail, Birmingham Daily Post) that mention a Joseph Blower, some seem to refer to the same incident.

Two mention Pritchett St, where he was living in 1891, assaulting the landlady of the Walsall beerhouse and stealing a dead pig, so they would appear to be your Joseph. Not sure about the others.

The 1901 address is 147 Alma Street where Joseph snr claims to be a green grocer on own account and working at home. He can't have been there long as that address is a shop but listed as an ironmongers in 1900 directory and in 1905 to Frederick Allen a shopkeeper.

I think Emma should be Emily as there is a birth registered in 1886 with mmn James which fits.
That said - I can't find birth registrations for all the children and there seem to be 2 children called Henry on 1891 census.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you MWS, pjmburns and mikejee,
I think I can put this one to bed and resign myself that the son Joseph slipped between the cracks from 1891 until he enlisted in 1902.
I think Henry could be Emily/Emma.

Henry (the correct one) and Joseph are registered as Bloor.
MWS,
Have you found him in 1901?

Elsie gets married in 1901 I think:
26th May at St Stephens church to Edward Merricks. 1911 census Elsie, Edward plus Elsie, Edward, Joseph and Harriet are at 205 Great Russell Street. Not found on 1901 which would have been before the marriage.

I tried looking at some of the elder Joseph's siblings to see if any of the missing ones pop up with one but nothing except that some of them are missing as well.

Not sure if it's because of the name - changes between Blower, Bloor, Blore & Bloore - the latter being the earliest I found for a Simon Bloore's marriage in 1792.

I tried that as well but didn't get very far. I am still puzzled by Joseph being a soldier in 1902 - those records should still exist as he must have left (1911 census) and then rejoined in ww1. Are we sure he is the right Joseph on the war records?

Back