• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1891 Census look up please for Thomas Ballard

Twirls

master brummie
Looking for Thomas Ballard born Aston/Birmingham in 1877. Found him in 1881 but as a lodger in what looks like a large boarding house with several others including, John Ballard aged 42, Ann Ballard aged 38, Albert Ballard aged 5 and Thomas Ballard aged 3. I don't know if any of them are related to each other.

Thank you
Twirls

ladylinda

master brummie
In 1891 there is a Thomas Ballard (1876)at the Birmingham Corporation Industrial School,Shawbury Lane,Fillongley,near Meriden.
1901 sees a Thomas Ballard(1877) lodging with the Bullivant family at 8, Allesley Street Stratford Place, Aston. His occupation is cycle frame filer.

Twirls

master brummie
Ladylinda,

The Thomas Ballard lodging with the Bullivant family is the one I'm looking for and I have the info from 1901. Can you tell me please if there are any other Thomas Ballards born abt. 1877 Aston or Birmingham. I'm searching for his father.

Thank you
Twirls

ladylinda

master brummie
There is a Thomas Ballard born 1877 Birmingham (occ cycle trade)who enlisted in the army 16th August 1899 and then bought himself out for £10 25th September 1899.
Mother's name given as Anne Ballard.
Births Sep 1877
Thomas Ballard Aston 6d 376
This is most likely his birth reg details.
Looking at the 1881 census, it's quite possible the enumerator made an error when completing the form,particularly when you trace Anne Ballard (1843) back to 1871 where she is married to a butcher called John Ballard.
Possible death of John
Deaths Mar 1883
John Ballard aged 45 Birmingham 6d 138

There is a daughter Anne born 1865,which ties in with Annie Bullivant's age.
In 1881 young Annie was listed working as a nurse(Domestic) for a Hebrew minister and family in Blucher Street. She marries in 1883.
Marriages Jun 1883
Annie BALLARD Aston 6d 298
Joseph Thomas BULLIVANT Aston 6d 298

Purchase of Thomas's birth cert would give his father's name.

Twirls

master brummie
Thank you Ladylinda,

I do appreciate the detail about Thomas Ballard. Thank you for all your help in this and previous messages. During the past week I have received four certificates that I was able to apply for as a result of the help I've been given by Forum members. Without yours and others input I could not have gathered this information about my mother's family of whom I had little information. My mother was orphaned as a child and her knowlege of her family was vague.

Regards,
Twirls