• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1891 Census look up please for Eliza Ballard

Twirls

master brummie
Would someone mind looking up Eliza Ballard born 1860 in Birmingham on the 1891 Census? I have found her on the 1881 census living with her family at 58, Legg Street, Aston. I believe she may have married Thomas Read in 1883 in Balsall Heath and later emigrated. I would appreciate as much info about Eliz as possible.

Thank you,
Twirls

barrie

master brummie
1891. 215 Gt Russell St.

Thos Jno Ballard Husband Tailor 20 Born B'Ham
Eliza Ballard Wife 30 n n
Thos St Jude Ballard Adopted Son 2 Born B'Ham

I have written it as it is on the census. I don't know what n n means. Perhaps someone else will.

Barrie

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I must say that I'm a bit confused here - I found this entry as well, but I dismissed it as she is Eliza Ballard (unmarried) in 1881. I'm not sure that this is the same person as in 1891, she is showing as married, but both her and her husband are Ballards. I did wonder if Thos Jno was actually Eliza's brother from the 1881 census and he had married another Eliza. If it's him, he's changed his profession, so I'm not convinced. You'd need to look for a marriage.

[As an aside, on my scan (FMP), the n n is on the entry above Thos Jno and looks like ditto marks.
Also, it shows Thos Jno is 28 and Thos St Jude is 2 m at 216 Gt Russell St.]

barrie

master brummie
There's a marriage in Birmingham in Dec Qtr 1882 6d 214 for a Thomas John Ballard. On the same page is an Eliza Butler, so it possibly is the brother on the 1891.

Barrie

lynne webb

master brummie
Found a marriage in Apr. qtr. 1887 to a Benjamin Luckett. On the 1891 census they are at 2 Smallbrook Street, with 3 daughters. Think the older girls were born before the marriage.

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I had a look on the passenger lists, but there doesn't appear to be anything relevant. There was a Mrs Reid and Thomas Reid going to New York from Glasgow in August 1891, but if that was them, where were they for the census?
As far as I can see, the passenger lists are only from 1890 on FMP, so they may well have left before that.

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Our replies crossed, Lynne.

Oh, good spot Lynne :)
Maybe the two older girls (b 1885 and 1884) were from a previous marriage of Benjamin? I'll have a look for a death....

lynne webb

master brummie
The oldest girl b. 1884 on the census, is called Jennie, but I cant find a birth but there is a Jenny Ballard b.1885.

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Another good spot Lynne - and there's an Elizabeth Ballard in 1886 as well :)

It is possible that Benjamin Luckett was married in Q1 1885 to either Mary Carey or Emily Timmins. My money is on Mary Carey as there is a death for Mary Ann Luckett age 37 registered in Aston in Q2 1886

Twirls

master brummie
Well, thank you to everyone who's replied to my message and searching for the info. Barrie I don't believe that this is the family. If Eliza Ballard was married by 1891 I think that her surname may have been Read as I mentioned at the beginning of my thread. I haven't so far identified a brother with the name Thomas John. Thank you for looking on the passenger lists Leslam.

Twirls

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I've checked the passenger lists for Lucketts - no go as far as I can see.

However, I've found the detah for Elizabeth Luckett in Q4 1900 - which makes dob 1860 - bang on. (Birmingham)

Also found a death of a child Benjamin Luckett Q2 1898, age 4 (Birmingham)

There's a possible for Benjamin Snr Q3 1946 age 87, but the date is a bit out - again Birmingham. Would make him born in 1859

I'll have a look for 1911...

Last edited:

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Can't spot in 1911 at the moment, but in 1901, as a widower, brass filer, b 1861 at 4, Court House, Blucher Street, Birmingham, with daughters Jane (b 1884 = Jennie I think) and Elizabeth (b1885)

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Got him!
At 1 Bk 16 Ellis Street as a boarder, age 52.
The wife of the head of household is Jinnie (it looks like) Halley and there is also a Nellie Lucket (age 14) boarding there. Could well be that Jinnie = Jennie = Jane and is the daughter

lynne webb

master brummie
Oh well spotted, I'd found the 1901 but couldnt find him on the 1911. I also think the death is the right one because I found a birth for 1859 so it adds up.

Twirls

master brummie
Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm in looking up the info on Eliza Ballard. But, I understand that Eliza married Thomas Read.

Twirls

ladylinda

master brummie
I have found the following, but am notsure whether or not it is the right Thomas Read/Eliza(beth) Ballard.Elizabeth dies in 1894 aged 30, which ties in with the census d.o.b.of 1864.The age of the eldest child would tie in with an 1883 marriage?
1891 Address: 48, New Street, Aston, Aston Manor

READ, Thomas
Head
Married
M
Steel Polisher
Birmingham
Warwickshire
READ, Elizabeth
Wife
Married
F