• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1890's Electoral rolls

OldBrummie2018

Brummie babby
Hello,

Could anyone help with interpreting some electoral rolls of Aston from the 1890's.

Please see attached 'electoral roll 1895.png' and 'electoral roll 1891.png'

A couple of questions:

1. In the 'Nature of Qualification' column, what does the word (successive) mean?
2. In the 'Description of Qualifying Property' why is there more than one address listed?

As records with these features appear together, my guess is that these individuals lived at more than one address that year. The current address being listed as (successive)

Thank you

Attachments

• electoral roll 1895.png
    electoral roll 1895.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 14
  • electoral roll 1891.png
    electoral roll 1891.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 14
I know that back then property owners were allowed to vote. Presumably more than one address would be listed if you owned more than one property.

also i have on an e roll someone who ran a pub so that address was given but by the side of it the address that they actually lived at..thought it worth a mention

Back