• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1885 birmingham map

:) Good one Billc very interesting not seen it before, Cheers

Billc, thats a great site, ive shown other ppl this on another site, hope you dont mind!! needed to share it!!

Thanks Billic, great site, I have found a few roads my ancestors lived in and the cemetery!:rolleyes:

Billc

That's great. Like Moma P I have found a lot of streets where my ancestors lived.

Can anyone see Lower Windsor Street though - I think it is someone around Nechells, Duddeston way. Just can't find it.

Fay

Thank you all for your comments.Feel free to tell anyone about it.:)

Old Maps

I have all the Alan Godfrey maps of Brum that they have brought out so far.They all date from the early 1900s.I also have a series of six maps that I bought at an auction some time ago.They are reproductions of some that they have in the Reference Library.They are of Brum in 1553,1731,1750,1778,1781 and 1795.They are all A2 size so difficult to scan and put on the site.

Numbering the Alan Godfrey Maps

The Alan Godfrey maps are brilliant, and I wouldn't be without them. But the numbering system is very difficult to follow.
I set up and printed a set of mini-stickers with the Alan Godfrey numbers, and a simple system, giving the rows a letter from A down to T, and the columns a number from 1 across to 18. Each label has the new number vquite large, the old number rather vmall, and a word for the area covered
If anyone would like a set of these labels for their own use, please send me a Private Message with postal address, and I will do my best to send them a set. No charge unless demand gets crazy.
Peter

Ashley Street & Gooch Street

Anything between 1885 & 1913 which are particular dates in our family tree.
Would love to see section/s of map/s for these areas and dates if possible please.

Sparkhill Lad if you post an area you wish to see, centering on specific streets..... then Im sure we could oblige.

Sparkhill Lad if you post an area you wish to see, centering on specific streets..... then Im sure we could oblige.

Thanks Rod

there are 3 areas I would like to know about 2 for sure are, Gooch Street and Ashley Street around 1915.

The other is taken from Grandads birth certificate and is very fient but looks as though it reads : no. 10 court Franchise Street hope this makes sense the road name starts for sure with Franc... then it could be as I have said or something like Francluse Street which to me does not sound quite right. This was in 1884 though
Thanks
Derek

Map posted shows Ashley street at the northern end of Gooch Street which runs diagonally across the map. Ive made the map quite high in resolution but will delete it once you let me know you have a copy.

Once you click on the thumbnail, give the map a chance to load, then click on it again and it should expand to full size. HUGE!! :D

Can you scan the certificate at quite a high res so that we might make more sense of it perhaps? I could post maps of the wrong area otherwise. There is a Francis Street in Duddeston, it might well have had court houses?

Franchise Street Perry Barr & Francis Street Duddeston

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Rod

Thanks for fantastic contribution, I am having major problems with internet service provider, and cannot connect to broadband, am currently on dial up UGGG!!:|
But at least I can see your reply but have not attempted to download.
Will send high res. copy of cert and hope to download maps at the week end, will this be ok?
Just when I was getting somewhere.:rolleyes:

regards
Derek

Hey thats fine. Sorry your having so many problems.

Hopefully when you have posted the certificate clipping some of our resident top notch Genealogists might be able to help out?

Back