• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1881 look up please - john leaver/lever

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
Please can anyone help.
I am looking for John Leaver/Lever. He is shown in the 1891 and 1901 census but I cannot find him in 1881. He was born in 1847 so would have been 33/34 and I would expect him to be listed with his wife, Julia and his daughter, Mary Ann who was born in 1873 so would have been 7/8.

I would be glad of any help or suggestions.

Regards
Shirley

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
are you looking in the birmingham area ?

I have found a john, julia annie & essau (LAVER) living in essex in 1881, he is an ag lab
all were born though in steeple bumstead essex

derek

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Not having any luck so far, but Mary Ann's birth was registered in 4 Qtr 1972 Birmingham Vol 6d Page 45 as far as I can see.

EDIT: And John LEAVER married Julia JENNINGS in 1 Qtr 1872 Birmingham Vol 6d Page 134

EDIT AGAIN: I've also checked all the Warwickshire JENNINGS households (ironically they were almost all institutions) that had a Julia in them, but again with no luck.

Maurice :cool:

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I can't spot them either. I've tried all the wildcard and variant seraches I can think of. Will have a look on another provider......

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I think that I've found him in 1871 with his mother Sarah (a widow)? 18 Wellington St, John is down as a Coal Heaver. is that him?
[strangely, his relationship to head of household is down as Wife!!]
Also in the household is Joseph John Minston (grandson of Sarah, so presumably a nephew of John)

Hope that this helps a bit

ladylinda

master brummie
I found the same John,mother Sarah in 1891,but it gives his status as single?
Sarah Leaver, Head Widow aged 81 born 1810 Birmingham
John Leaver,Son Single aged 45 1846 born Birmingham Coal Heaver
Maryann Leaver,Granddaughter aged 18 born 1873 Birmingham Box Maker
Address was 8 Eyre Street,Rotton Park ward

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
I have also found both the records mentioned (71/91), but I wonder where Julia is? Was she John's wife, or could she have been his brother's wife , or even their sister and maryann his neice, do you think?

Last edited:

smtr

master brummie
The nearest I can find is a Sarah, John, & Mary A MACDONALD. All ages and birth places fit and John is a Coal Heaver, married but no wife present living at Ingleby Street.

Oh dear, they don't want to be found do they:)

Suzanne

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Sarah Leaver died Q1 1895 age 84 (ties in with the census age in 1891) GRO ref Q1 1895 Birmingham 6d 169

The other Leaver thread (https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36708&page=2&highlight=leaver) says that Julia and John married in 1872 - have you confirmed this with a marriage certificate (there is certainly a possible entry in Q1 1872 Birmingham 6d 134)? If so, what was the address on the certificate? If you have the birth cert for Maryann, what is the address on there? It's the closest we can get in date terms to 1881, so would be a good place to start a street search, as they either missed the census or there has been some horrible mis-transcription, we may be able to narrow it down.

Last edited:

smtr

master brummie
Regarding my earlier post re the MACDONALDS in 1881

In the 1851 census
William Leaver born 1808 Bham - cordwainer
Sarah Leaver B1810 bham - boot binder
Joseph leaver b1832 son Bham - metal roller
William Leaver b1834 son bham - metal roller
Henry Leaver b1837 son Bham - metal roller
Mary Ann Leaver B1843 daughter Bham
John Leaver B1848 Bham
Living at 28 Little Ann St

Marriage on IGI of Sarah MACDONALD to William Leaver 31 Dec 1830 ST Martins

Could Sarah have had a momentary memory lapse when giving her name to the enumerator in 1881? :)

Suzanne

leslam

Brummie by marriage
That could well be it :)

If you follow fowards, in 1861, at 3 court 10 Milk Street
Sarah 50, is a widow, coffin nail maker [1881 Sarah MacDonald is formerly coffin nail blacker - too much of a cooincidence?!]
Charles Henry, son
Eliza J daughter-in-law
John, 13, chair polisher
Joseph, grandson age 2
Charles Henry, grandson, age 2

Looking for William's death, there are 3 possible deaths for William Leaver, Q4 1854 (Aston), Q3 1857 (Birmingham) and Q3 1859 (Birmingham). There is also a death of William Henry Leaver Q3 1860 (Birmingham)

smtr

master brummie
That could well be it :)

Yes I had looked at the 1861 profession for Sarah and had written it all out but then thought no, it couldn't possibly be such a bad mistransciption as Macdonald for Leaver? so I didn't bother. Something kept niggling at me though so I just posted that the nearest I could find was the Macdonalds. Then I checked IGI and sure enough the only Macdonald/Leaver marriage that came up was for a Sarah and William:)

Suzanne

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
I found the same John,mother Sarah in 1891,but it gives his status as single?
Sarah Leaver, Head Widow aged 81 born 1810 Birmingham
John Leaver,Son Single aged 45 1846 born Birmingham Coal Heaver
Maryann Leaver,Granddaughter aged 18 born 1873 Birmingham Box Maker
Address was 8 Eyre Street,Rotton Park ward
Thanks Ladylinda.
I found this one and noted that he was shown as single - I dont know what happend to his wife, Julia, I cannot find any record of her death.

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
I think that I've found him in 1871 with his mother Sarah (a widow)? 18 Wellington St, John is down as a Coal Heaver. is that him?
[strangely, his relationship to head of household is down as Wife!!]
Also in the household is Joseph John Minston (grandson of Sarah, so presumably a nephew of John)

Hope that this helps a bit
Thanks leslam
I found this one and yes it is him - it would have been the year before he married Julia Jennings.

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
I have also found both the records mentioned (71/91), but I wonder where Julia is? Was she John's wife, or could she have been his brother's wife , or even their sister and maryann his neice, do you think?
Thanks Pomgolian
I have actual record of the marriage between John and Julia but haven't got a clue what happend to her after the birth of their daughter, Mary Ann.

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
Sarah Leaver died Q1 1895 age 84 (ties in with the census age in 1891) GRO ref Q1 1895 Birmingham 6d 169

The other Leaver thread (https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36708&page=2&highlight=leaver) says that Julia and John married in 1872 - have you confirmed this with a marriage certificate (there is certainly a possible entry in Q1 1872 Birmingham 6d 134)? If so, what was the address on the certificate? If you have the birth cert for Maryann, what is the address on there? It's the closest we can get in date terms to 1881, so would be a good place to start a street search, as they either missed the census or there has been some horrible mis-transcription, we may be able to narrow it down.
Thanks again leslam
I have the parish records showing the marriage of John and Julia. The baptism record for their daughter Mary Ann is showing them at Back of 22 Lower King Edward Road. I haven't found evidence of any other children.