• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1881 Census

granford

proper brummie kid
Hi All,
My first time on this website and would appreciate any help.
I found an ancestor, James Grant b 1819, on the 1881 census [ FamilySearch.org] together with his wife Ann Jane Grant and one or two other miscellaneous people. I know that this was his second wife, his first having died in 1839. I cannot find any record of this second marriage and so do not know Ann Jane's maiden name. I would like to know where the family were in 1861,1871,1891 & 1901 if possible. In 1881 they were at Maxton Lodge, Barnes, Surrey.
Many thanks

smtr

master brummie
There is a possible marriage of a James Grant to a Anne Jane Davis in 1870 Surrey ref OND 2a 429

smtr

master brummie
In 1891 a James Grant B1820 Roxborough Scotland and a Anne Jane Grant B1826 St pauls London living at Maxton Cottage, Barnes. He is a retired Nurseryman.
With them is Annie Truelove B1834 Greenock Scotland - friend - and Mary Truelove B1836 Greenock Scotland - friend

smtr

master brummie
In 1911 Anne jane Grant B1826 London City - widow - living at 51Coldershaw Rd, West Ealing and
Mary Truelove B1836 Greenock, Renfrewshire - spinster and
Maud Louisa Lippiatt b1891 Gloucestershire - servant

smtr

master brummie
Anne J Grant B1826 St Pauls London living at 51 Coldershaw Rd, Ealing - widow - living on own means
also the aforementioned Annie and Mary Truelove also living on own means

granford

proper brummie kid
In 1911 Anne jane Grant B1826 London City - widow - living at 51Coldershaw Rd, West Ealing and
Mary Truelove B1836 Greenock, Renfrewshire - spinster and
Maud Louisa Lippiatt b1891 Gloucestershire - servant
Hi smtr,
what a wonderful service, many many thanks for putting some flesh on the bones.
Regards, Jim

Shera

true brummie
in 1871 also living barnes, surrey

james grant 51 nurseryman agent and bookseller b. maxton
ann j. grant 45 b. london
ann trulove 38 visitor unmarried b. greenock scotland
mary trulove 36 visitor unmarried b. greenock scotland
ann j shatford?? mother in law widow 68 b. london

Patty

master brummie
Hi Jim, Sandra sister here, glad you are having some good luck, everyone is soo helpful on here Pattty

granford

proper brummie kid
Hi Pat-t-t-y,
Sandra rang me before I received your email so the surprise element dissappeared. It really is a tremendous site, I received replies within minutes of posting my request and was able to draw a line under that piece of research. No doubt we will speak again, for now best wishes and happy Xmas, Jim

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
Not sure if this is of help at all :
Marriages Jun 1842
DAVIS Ann Jane Liverpool VOL 20 PAGE 305
SHATFORD Daniel Liverpool VOL 20 PAGE 305
Could be Ann also married twice and that is where the Mother in Law comes in.
Just an idea...

Shera

true brummie
brilliant pom, i did look myself for a marriage of shatford or simillar to a davis but didnt spot that one!

granford

proper brummie kid
Thanks Pom.......
Following on from the previous resonses this could be a 1st marriage of Ann Jane Davis who was born 1826 and would have been 16 in 1842. If she married again in 1870 to James Grant it was likely that Daniel Shatford would have died before that date. There are 2 recorded deaths on FreeBMD for Daniel 1. 1866 age 79 and 1865 no age shown. I would have thought that 79 was too old ??. I'm not sure how Ann J Shatford, W, M in L, age 68 in 1871 fits in. Any ideas please?
Regards, Jim

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
My thoughts were that if Ann Davis had married Dan Shatford in 1842 and he later died, or even just moved on and disappeared (that was quite common back then, I have one case in my own tree) then Ann J Shatford M in L would have been Ann's mother in law from her first marriage to Dan.
As I said just an idea, but one that was feasible of families back then.

granford

proper brummie kid
Hi Pom
Thats very feasible and I suppose Mother in Laws from previous marriages could well have been treated with some respect in those days.
Regards, Jim
Have a great Xmas, we've got flu in our family??

granford

proper brummie kid
Pom,
Would you be able to look up the 1851 ad 1861 census to find out about Dan Shatford and Ann Janes marriage please? If Dan died before 1870 he would have been in his early 40's. If he did a runner he could be on the 1871 census. Sorry to be a pest.
Regards, Jim

granford

proper brummie kid
My thoughts were that if Ann Davis had married Dan Shatford in 1842 and he later died, or even just moved on and disappeared (that was quite common back then, I have one case in my own tree) then Ann J Shatford M in L would have been Ann's mother in law from her first marriage to Dan.
As I said just an idea, but one that was feasible of families back then.
Pom, Can you possibly see on 1851/61 census' where Dan Shatford and wife Ann J were living. Regards,Jim

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts are that the Ann J Davis who married Daniel Shatford was born in 1803 and is the mother of the Ann J davis who married James Grant.
Ann J Davis having been born in 1826 before her mother married Daniel Shatford ,which would also explain why you thought the Daniel who died too old to be the one you are seeking.

Last edited:

granford

proper brummie kid
Hi Alberta, Thanks for that. This would mean that Ann J Davis b 1826 was either illigitimate or her mother had had a previous marriage and her father was named Davis? Could this be proved any way?

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
Sorry unable to supply the Census info' for you maybe Shera, or Alberta could... I do not have credits to read the pages and can only supply free stuff...