• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1871 Look Up Please

Jules65

master brummie
Hi. I am trying to find Abel Joseph Heath on the 1871 census. Can anyone help please. I think he was born in Birmingham in 1850 and his parents were Samuel Heath and Charlotte Hunt. In 1851 they were living in Summer Lane and in 1861 Lower Tower Street. He may married in 1869 to either Ann Boswell or Mary Ann Blakemore. Thanks.

Shera

true brummie
well according to the igi the marriage was on 20 dec 1869 at bishops ryder church bham to ann boswell but so far i cant find them in 1871 :(

Jules65

master brummie
well according to the igi the marriage was on 20 dec 1869 at bishops ryder church bham to ann boswell but so far i cant find them in 1871 :(
Thanks Shera. I have never heard of Bishops Ryder Church - will have to investigate.

S

sjjones

I've found Abel's Christening on the IGI, 24th June 1850 at St. Martins, but can't find him on the census. Do you think he could have been known by his second name?

Shera

true brummie
very sorry jules but i cant find them on 1871 or 1881 :explode:

hope someone else has a look for you

Jules65

master brummie
I've found Abel's Christening on the IGI, 24th June 1850 at St. Martins, but can't find him on the census. Do you think he could have been known by his second name?
Perhaps this is a possibility. He is shown on the 1851 and 1861 census though as Abel.

Jules65

master brummie
very sorry jules but i cant find them on 1871 or 1881 :explode:

hope someone else has a look for you
Thank you so much for looking Shera. I wonder what happened to them? Could they have been mistranscribed. Though Heath is hard to get wrong -lol. Could he have been in the army and abroad?

Shera

true brummie
ive looked for name being mistranscribed and looked for joseph etc etc but found nothing in either census. also had a quick look in directories but no good. i checked for other parts of the country...nothing.

as he died in jan-mar 1891 he wouldnt be on the 1891 census but it showed he was in bham. :'( i give up ....for now anyway, will have another go tomorrow

Shera

true brummie
baptism at st. martins 24 jun 1850

abel joseph son of samuel and charlotte hunt heath

abode lionel street occ. gun finisher

Jules65

master brummie
baptism at st. martins 24 jun 1850

abel joseph son of samuel and charlotte hunt heath

abode lionel street occ. gun finisher
Thanks for all your help. I am at a loss at how to find out where Abel Heath and Ann Boswell were in 1871 and 1881 and the years inbetween and after before his death in 1891. As I now have details of their marriage - I think I will send for the marriage certificate and see if this throws up anything.

This family is proving very illusive. I cannot find his father Samuel Heath on the 1871 census. Though I have him on the 1881 living with his brother William. I think Charlotte (his mother) died in 1870. I cannot find Samuel again on the 1891 or the 1901 census and on the 1901 census his brother William who he was living with in 1881 is listed in the workhouse (All Saints).

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi again, having looked again at the 1881 census and mistranscribings(is that a word??) etc,I came up with the possibility of this family. The ages seem right,Abel using his 2nd name of Joseph,maybe, and Ann with a similar occupation to the one she had in 1891.
In 1891,living in Hatchett St off Summer Lane and this family in 1881 are living in Frankford Street which was nearby (close to Hospital Street,I think,which was off Summer Lane)

ladylinda

master brummie
I've had a look for Anne on the 1901 census and feel that she may have died between 1891 and 1901.
One possibility is Anne Heath died 1900,4th quarter,
Birmingham (1837-1924),Warwickshire
Volume 6d,page 94.
Just a thought!

Jules65

master brummie
Thanks for the info Ladylinda. Just to confuse matters I found in my notes that in 1871 (rg10 pIECE 3119 FOLIO 134 Page 13) I had William Heath (who was Samuel Heath's brother) living back 100 - Hampton Street with George Heath age 7, Joseph age 7 months, Joseph aged 21 (William's son) and his wife Annie aged 20.

So Samuel Heath had a son Abel Joseph born in 1850 and his brother William had a son Joseph born in 1850. Both children married an Ann or Annie.

I cannot find at the moment my copy of this census page to double check my notes. But I think it is possible that this Joseph you have found if William's son - not Samuels. I told you it was confusing. William also had a child called Emily born 1868 and so too did Samuel and Charlotte. I have the two Emily's living next door to each other in 1881 at 44 & 45 Steelhouse lane. It's a real headache trying to decipher it all! Thanks.