• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1871 Census Look Up Please

Jules65

master brummie
Well as it seems impossible to find Abel Joseph Heath on the 1871 census, I thought I may as well give his brother Frederick ago.

Frederick Heath was born 17th October 1855 in Birmingham. I have him on the 1861 census with his brother Abel and his parents Samuel and Charlotte. But where was he in 1871 or indeed any census after that? He just seems to have disappeared. Thank you.

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
Abel'd marriage and death

Have you seen this?

MARRIED: 1869 TO EITHER:
Mary Ann Blakemore
Ann Boswell

DEATH.

Name:Abel Joseph Heath
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1851
Year of Registration:1891
Quarter of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death:40
District:Birmingham (1837-1924)County:WarwickshireVolume:6dPage:91

Jules65

master brummie
Yes Mrs. T. I have that - thank you. If you look under my other 1871 lookup request we have a record of Abel marrying Ann Boswell at Bishops Ryder Church. After that until his death in 1891 we have nothing. He does not seem to appear on either the 1871 or 1881 census and he died before the 1891 census was done.

Jules65

master brummie
Have you done search for the wife and children ?
I don't think so. I don't have access to the 1871 census but would imagine that trying to find Ann Heath without Abel being present would be quite difficult. Both names are so common aren't they. I cannot find any record of any children. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi there,what an elusive family!
I found Ann as a widow in 1891,although I don't know if you already have this?

Shera

true brummie
in 1891 could this be frederick heath

living howe st. aston

frederick heath 38 professional comic singer b.bham
florence 29 also professional comic singer b. bham
ada 14 professional comic singer b. hednesford staffs

they were boarding with the pye family.

Jules65

master brummie
Ladylinda - I cannot believe you have found them!! with 4 children I knew nothing at all about. This opens up a whole new line of enquiry for me. Thank you so much. I wonder where Hatchett Street was?

Maybe this info will help us find them on the 1881 census. Samuel J Heath their eldest son was born approx. 1871 so may not be on that census but he and his siblings William b1872 and Annie b1878 should be on the 1881 one. George born approx 1881 may not be of course.

Jules65

master brummie
in 1891 could this be frederick heath

living howe st. aston

frederick heath 38 professional comic singer b.bham
florence 29 also professional comic singer b. bham
ada 14 professional comic singer b. hednesford staffs

they were boarding with the pye family.
Hi Shera. Thank you for all the help and time you are putting into my search. I wonder if this is my Frederick.

Have you seen Ladylinda's post. She has found the family in 1891. Do you think this may help us find them in 1881? They are certainly proving to be very illusive. What with Heath being such a common name and there being lots in Aston and Birmingham and with them all seeming to name their children either Samuel, George or William - it gets really confusing.

Everyone is so helpful on here. I have been at a deadend with this particular branch of my family for ages.

Best wishes.

Jules

Shera

true brummie
one of the children ladylinda found is samuel j heath.

in 1881 there is a samuel joseph heath in the general hospital summer lane aged 9.

theres also a william heath aged 11 at gem st. industrial school bham.

Last edited:

barrie

master brummie
one of the children ladylinda found is samuel j heath.

in 1881 there is a samuel joseph heath in the general hospital summer lane aged 9.

theres also a william heath aged 11 at gem st. industrial school bham.
Good grief! My Gt Gt Grandfather was the master of bootmaking at that school in that year. He lived in Canal Street.

Jules65

master brummie
Good grief! My Gt Gt Grandfather was the master of bootmaking at that school in that year. He lived in Canal Street.
What a small world Barrie! Do you know anything about the Gem St. Industrial School? Was it a boarding school? Would the fact that William was being brought up by his widowed mother have anything to do with him attending there. i.e. was it specially for poor children? I cannot imagine Ann Heath having the funds to send him to a boarding school - or was it because he had been naughty and made to go there by the authorities? Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Shera

true brummie
it was free jules. generally for young offenders or destitute children. just google gem st industrial school bham and there are a few bits about it

sylviasayers

master brummie
Jules, you asked where Hatchett Street was - it ran from 90 Summer Lane to Newtown Row. Hope this is of some help in your search.