• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1861 look up please

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Hi

Would someone please be able to check out an entry for me.

I have a lady with variations on her surname. She married into hubby's family as Elizabeth Harping Dec 1/4 1881. She is on the 1881 census in Bham same spelling born Henly Castle, Worc.

I have found her in Family Search index as Elizabeth Harpine in the 1861 census at Hanley Castle. I have tried to find others in census same area with surname variations but I'm just wasting my time.

If someone could copy me the entry for the household that would be brilliant.

Many thanks.

Jill

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Hi John

Could be. I've just remembered that Genes Reunited where I have basic free membership has access to all their records tonight 1800 to 2000. I'm hoping that I can find her on there. I'd looked under every variation I can find on Free BMD including a search in Worcs using just 'Elizabeth'. I've just gone back and done a search for Elizabeth in Upton and found Elizabeth Horpin born Dec 1/4 1853.

Thank you ever so much. Who knows what her family name really was but now I'm off to see if I can find some more of her kin.

Kind Regards

Jill

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Thank you Alberta for these details that turn out to be the first marriage for Hannah.

Using FreeBMD and Family Search I've found out that there was a death for Charles Harpen and a marriage for Hannah Harpen several years after. She remarried to John Gibbs. Hannah appears to have been born in Ratford, Huntingdon. Before GenesReunited crashed or fried or just went on such a go-slow I was able to see that the family lived in Sink Lane. The free access to all records lasts until 8pm. With luck enough people will be tired of trying by then and given up so I might get a quick look at something else. But never mind, in the scheme of things, not being able to access a website is hardly important. Regards Jill