• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1861 cesus look up Sarah Skinner

karro

master brummie
I'm trying to locate Sarah Skinner on the 1861 census but no luck so far. She was born about 1831 in Harvington Worcestershire. In 1851 she was working as a house servant in Birmingham. She had a daughter Ellen in Dec 1855 in Birmingham (unmarried). after that I can't finad any record of her. Any help would be greatly apprectated.
Karro

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Karro
There is a Sarah Skinner (34), housemaid in 1861 at Brookfield house, Bellbroughton, born at Chaddesley, Worcestershire. No child. Chaddesley is about 1-1.5 miles from Harvington
Ref is Worcestershire. Bellbroughton.dist 8 p 22.
mike

Shera

true brummie
cant find anything other than the one mike has suggested for 1861.

in 1871 ellen skinner aged 15 is listed as niece, visiting john skinner 36 (b. worc) and his wife sarah aged 31, and their family who were living northampton street, bham.

karro

master brummie
Karro
There is a Sarah Skinner (34), housemaid in 1861 at Brookfield house, Bellbroughton, born at Chaddesley, Worcestershire. No child. Chaddesley is about 1-1.5 miles from Harvington
Ref is Worcestershire. Bellbroughton.dist 8 p 22.
mike
Thanks for this tip Mike. I'll look into it. Sarah was born in Harvington parish Evesham. Is that close to the area you are mentioning? The difficult part is that Ellen Skinner (my great grandmother) is never on a census with her mother. Ellen may be on the 1861 census in Evesham as a boader (age 5) with the Newman family.

karro

master brummie
Your right on this one. Ellen is visiting her uncle John. I found John Skinner and Sarah on the 1841 census with their family in Evesham Harvington. Later when Ellen married it was her Uncle John that witnessed her marriage.

Shera

true brummie
are you sure that sarah skinner didnt die?? there are one or two deaths of sarah skinner around that time and area

Shera

true brummie
i had a look on igi and there is the christening of ellen skinner on 27th april 1856 at st. thomas bham. mother sarah skinner

there is also another christening (same batch no.) 6 feb 1853 at st. thomas of sarah ann skinner - with mother sarah ann skinner

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like it is the wrong Harvington where the Sarah I found was born. Who would believe it
Mike

Shera

true brummie
a bit of a coincidence. have just watched our local news programme and it featured harvington worcestershire. hadnt heard of it before today :) looks like a beautiful village

karro

master brummie
It is possible that Sarah died. I also saw those death listings in BMD. There seems to be numerous Sarah Skinners so its difficult to know especially since the age is not listed. i just wanted to make certain that I hadn't missed her on the census.