• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1861 Census help needed please.

lynne webb

master brummie
I'm looking for Caroline Louisa Holyoak b. abt. 1858 and Jonas John King Holyoak b Feb. 1861. They were both born in Broad Blunsden and both parents were Thomas and Mary. I am trying to find if they are brother and sister. I've found Caroline on the 1871 but no sign of Jonas, they both appear later but nothing at all is coming up for 1861. I would think Jonas would just scrape in the 1861. I would really appreciate any help with this. Thank you,
Lynne.

smtr

master brummie
Lyn
Are you using Ancestry or FMP?

On ancestry put Caroline Q Holyoake B1859 Blunsdon Wiltshire
On FMP Put Caroline L Holyoake B1859 Blunsdon Wiltshire

Suzanne

By the way, John Holyoake has been recorded as 4 years old on Ancestry but correctly as 4months on FMP. Could this be the Jonas?

smtr

master brummie
Let me know if you want me to put it on here. Found Jonas in 1871 with his parents:)

EDIT: Looking at it I don't think it his him:(

smtr

master brummie
Thomas Holyoake b1822 Watchfield, Berkshire Innkeeper
Mary Holyoake b1825 Watchfield Berkshire wife
Edwin A Holyoake b1851 Stratton wiltshire son
William H Holyoake b1857 Blundson wiltshire son
Caroline L Holyoake B1859 Blunsdon wiltshire daughter
John Holyoake b1861 4 months Blunsdon wiltshire son
William Smart b1809 Devizes Wiltshire servant labourer

smtr

master brummie
Thinking about it I do think the Jonas I found is correct.
recorded as Holyock
Thomas Holyock B1822 Watchfield - farmer of 68 acres
Mary Holyock B1825 Watchfield
Albert Holyock B1851 shatton (stratton) wiltshire (is this the William A in the 1861?) - farmers son
Jonas R Holyock B1861 Blunsdon wiltshire son
Clara Holyock B1863 daughter
Emily D Holyock b1867 daughter
Elizabeth Shelford 1856 servant
John Turtle b1857 wanborough wiltshire servant

Marsh Farm Wanborough Wiltshire

Suzanne

lynne webb

master brummie
Thanks Suzanne, I'm thinking John could be Jonas John and they are brother and sister. I found Caroline on the 1871 at Lassington House,Highworth, when i Goggled it, it seemed like a workhouse,but maybe it was a school. I cant fathom this family at all..Thanks again, Lynne...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ok suzanne..maybe the 63 convictions did not warrant a paper article....

cheers..

lyn:)

smtr

master brummie
Hi

I wonder if this might help with Caroline Louisa and Jonas John's relationship i.e siblings?

Jonas John King Holyoak married Mary Ann Cornwell March 31st 1881 at the Parish Church of St. Luke's, Chelsea, Middlesex.
Jonas is 21 and a bachelor, occupation Milkman, address 21 Manor Street, Father Thomas Holyoak, Farmer
Mary Ann is 23 and a spinster, address Parish of Paddington, Father Levi, Carman
Witnesses were: Edwin Albert Holyoak and Caroline Louisa Holyoak

Suzanne

lynne webb

master brummie
Thats great Suzanne, I think that confirms that they were brother and sister. Thanks so much for all your help.
Lynne.