• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1841 Elijah Parry Look-up

anthea

master brummie

Could anyone who has access to the 1841 Census please look for Elijah Parry, Age abt.24., Wife Ruth and Son Edward, abt 1 year old. They were married in Edgbaston, Warwickshire. But if there is nothing there, could you try Birmingham, Warwickshire or Staffordshire. Any information would be much appreciated.

Anthea:)

Shera

true brummie
hello anthea

if you check out the igi index there is loads of info on this family. birth of edward was 31.3.1840 chr 7.6.1841 st philips bham parents elijah parry mother ruth bracey. much more info and goes back to eighteenth century on some lines of the family.

i cant find the family in 1841 but have found them in 1851 but i presume you have that.

all the best chris

anthea

master brummie
Hi Chris (Shera). Thanks so much for taking time to look for Elijah, and 'yes' I do have all the details you mention, but I thought perhaps someone might find him on the 1841 census because I hadn't been able to - just cannot imagine why they weren't registered??? And I'm not subscribed to any site because I have most of the information I require.

Shera

true brummie
hello again anthea,

i also have ancestors which do not show up on a census. i think some must have been lost or illegible. ive looked every way i can think of for your family but no luck.

ive looked in other areas and name derivations but havent been able to find them. i am only a member of ancestry now. perhaps someone with findmypast could have a look.

hope you have some luck :rolleyes: chris

anthea

master brummie
Hi Chris, Thanks so much for having a look for me. Elijah is an elusive bloke in more ways than one! But something may crop up one of these days.
Anthea:):)

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
I have also looked for Elijah, Anthea and as Sylvia suggested tried Worcester. I also did a blanket search by putting in his Christian name only, as it is not a common name, hoping something might come up. I think some of our ancestors hid on census day, I'm sure some of mine did.:)

anthea

master brummie
Hi Sylvia, I am fortunate enough to at least have Elijah's Marriage Certificate dated 1839 which shows Kings Norton Reg. Dist; Parish -Edgbaston; County - Warwick. I must have looked up alternatives in the past when I was subscribed to Ancestry etc, but I always think a 'look-up' by someone else may bring up a result. Thanks Sylvia.:D

DiPoppitt, I think you are right Di - the family may have been elsewhere. The first child, Edward, was being born around the time of the 1841 Census day (7June) so perhaps that had something to do with their non-appearance ? Thanks Di for your time searching:D

Last edited:

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
Elijah PARRY - 1881 British Census / Warwick
Father Gender: Male Birth: <1817> 1 Back Of 6 Berner St Birm, Warwick, England
He is living with Edward and Ruth seems to have died. She was Ruth Bracey and as you say they married in KN in Sept qutr 1839.
I looked for Bracey's 1841 Warwickshire and there were only seems to be a hand full, One family Joseph 20 Mary 25 and Emma 2 in New John St , one in Thomas 20 and William 15 Prichet St and a William Farmer 67 at
Ryton-Upon-Dunsmore Rugby.
If these are part of your family the added info' might help find them Elija and Ruth 1941.

Pom :angel:

Note: to forum members, this will be my last look up for now.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought. In the 1849 whites, he is given as home address court 2 sherborne st, as in 1851 census, but also as Carraige and lamp manufacturer at ryland st. Could he have been living at ryland st in 1841? If it was his place of business it could have been missed

Last edited:

Shera

true brummie
ruth braceys parents were thomas and sarah bracey. ruth born 18.11.1818 and christened 24.2.1819 at st. phillips bham as taken from the igi records.

they did have a son william b. 16.11.1824 chr 17.9.1827 at st. phillips and also a son thomas b.8.9.1820 chr 29.9.1820 at st phillips so the 1841 census pom found with william and thomas are probably ruths brothers.

chris

anthea

master brummie
Pomgolian - Hi Pom, I have most of the info re Elijah and Ruth except for the 1841 Census and Elijah's Birth details 1817 ie Parish Records. Otherwise, I think I have everything else:rolleyes:

The Bracey info may prove useful, so I will keep a note of what you have found. Thanks for your help.

anthea

master brummie
Mikejee - Hi Mike, I have the same info on Elijah that you found. He was listed in 1849 and 1855 Birmingham Directories living in Sherborne Street and business in Ryland Street. What you suggest Mike could be a possibility in that Elijah may have been at the business premises when the census was taken. The puzzle remains!
Thanks for the look-up.

anthea

master brummie

Shera - Hi Chris, I also found Ruth's brothers Joseph b 1818, Thomas b 1820 but hadn't found William b1824, so thanks for that. As I said to Pom, the Bracey info may prove useful. Thanks for looking.