• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1820's

fio

Brummie babby
Chasing up my long lost relatives. Apparently around in the 1820's up to around 1860's. One of the children Ann Sophia Hill, died aged 4 in 1864 and is buried in Saltney St Saviours. The rest of the family moved to Sheffield and the rest is history! I am really keen to find out the Birmingham link. Anyone got any clues, tips or hints. I have hit a brick wall!

Attachments

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fio
In the 1861 census Ann Sophia Hill and her parents Charles (40) and Agnes (22) were at 1 Scott St with children William, Charles, Samuel, Juo(??) and Martha. Charles is an umbrella maker. what is it you are looking for?

• Appreciate
Reactions: fio

fio

Brummie babby
Hi Thanks so much! I couldn't make out the address but have that information. I am really looking for the 1851 census records or before that even. Apparently they had 14 kids, one of which is my Great Grandfather. I really would like to see if Charles had been married before and also what Agnes's maiden name was. (Juo is John)
Thanks again

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hello Fio,

The information came from the genealogical site FindMyPast, which is a paid for subscription site like Ancestry.com, but the same information should also be on FreeBMD, which as its name implies, is free. Here it is, but it doesn't show the mother's maiden name on FreeBMD:-
HillAnn SophiaAston6d259
and on FindMyPast:-
First name(s)ANN SOPHIA
Last nameHILL
Birth year1859
Birth quarter4
Registration month-
Mother's maiden nameHorne
DistrictAston
CountyWarwickshire
CountryEngland
Volume6D
Page259

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
Charles appears to have 'married' at least twice, Agnes Horne being much younger than Charles. Can't see a marriage for Charles and Agnes though.

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
No, MWS, I couldn't either.

I can't see a civil birth registration either, but FindMyPast shows:-

28 January 1839 Agnes daughter of John & Ann Horne baptised Birmingham, but no church.

Nothing on Ancestry either.

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Fio,

On the 1841 Census, John & Ann HORNE with 6 children, including Agnes, were living in Lawley Street , Aston, and John was a tailor. They were still living in Lawley Street in 1851. Mother Ann was from Birmingham and father John was from Worcestershire, and Agnes was aged 12 and still at school.

Last edited:

fio

Brummie babby
Fio,

On the 1841 Census, John & Ann HORNE with 6 children, including Agnes, were living in Lawley Street , Aston, and John was a tailor. They were still living in Lawley Street in 1851. Mother Ann was from Birmingham and father John was from Worcestershire, and Agnes was aged 12 and still at school.

This is brilliant! Thanks everyone for your input. I have something to go off at least! I also thought maybe he had been married before due to his age and the amount of children! By the time they moved to Sheffield, Alfred came along in 1867, then William (a second one?) , Elizabeth, Herbert (my Grandmother's Father) Then Arthur and finally, I think, Walter in 1887. Busy time!
Thanks again. Fiona