• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1800s Occupation

Brummie Grandbaby

proper brummie kid
1845 Occupation at MARRIAGE  Jesse Brooks.jpg My great, great-grandfather's occupation on his marriage certificate is unreadable to me. That could be a lack of comprehension of 1800s occupations. Can anybody help me figure out what this Rank or Profession says? Greatly appreciated! :)

From 1877, could it be Plate Roller?

View attachment 136943
That could very well be it Pedrocut ! I had to look that up to see if it could be a fit. And it seems it does, as he worked in Iron through the rest of his life. "These passed flat bars between rolls to form a plate of iron, which was then passed between grooved rolls (slitters) to produce rods of iron." "The first experiments at rolling iron for tinplate took place about 1670. In 1697, Major John Hanbury erected a mill at Pontypool.." from Wikipedia. Thanks for the info :)

Whilst doing a bit more family tree work, I came upon the following
m0066b-00084 (1).jpg Its from a Trade Journal of 1818. If you enlarge the image you come a cross Elizabeth Willets whose trade was Blacksmith. I know there were many women chain and nail makers who used forges but I've never known a female blacksmith before.
The entry below is very interesting too concerning Benjamin Willets. Whether or not they're related I don't know but his trade is listed as Victualler and carrier to Birmingham and surprisingly Air Balloon. I wonder if this was an early attempt at air freight :)

Back