• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

18 highcroft road

Andrew - personally I doubt if the family and the doctor discussed these things to be honest. As you can see from my posting above, senility does not mean mental incapacity, just old age, and as I have also said Rubery Hill took on chronically sick patients (my own gt gt grandmother with a serious heart problem which would have meant she was very sick for some considerable time), so I am convinced that the same happened at Highcroft. Colin is right about death certificates only listing main causes of death - however, I know that is not true today, they put it all down, every single bit!!! Bronchial pneumonia would have meant he was pretty poorly and he would have needed hospitalisation whatever his mental state.

My geat grandad died at 18 Union Rd which I know realise was Highcroft Hospital, in 1930. Is there an address I can write to for more information or should I contact the Library?

Thanks

Hello gee-em: The records for Highcroft Hall are kept at the Birmingham Main Library. Here is an information site: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/archivesandheritage
The Archives and Heritage Department won't be open until September 2013 as the Library will be moved into their new building by then. They are not accepting any enquiries until then.

Ah thanks. I can't get to the library in person so it would have to be a written enquiry, Oh well I'll just have to be patient.

Thankyou for the info :fat:

Hi, I also have a relative who died at this address in 1939, he had heart problems (67), death cert mentions bronchitis, but many of the family, including my grandfather, died of TB. Maybe only part was a sanitorium for this problem

Back