• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

157 Squadron A.T.C Information Needed

R

Rod

Hello Rod
Thank you very much for putting the pictures on your web site also the poem & my book cover. I am wondering if you or your site visitors could or maybe help me out ,my brother Alf & myself where with 157 squadron A.T.C.at University building Edmund st Birmingham my brother won the air cup for general efficiency and I also won it in 1946 but we cannot find out what happened to this Squadron perhaps one of your site visitors maybe able to throw some light on this for us ?what do you think Rod ?

Can we help out here?

Posted on behalf of Reg Horton

University Air Squadron

Those links John gave hopefully could give some results. If not try ringing
The University of Birmingham switchboard for a connection to their
Air Squadron office. The UBAS website is connected some closed link it seems but they may have a contact. On other sites the UBAS has mentioned they have history links regarding local the local air squadron of bygone years. If not then try the RAF Museum at RAF Cosford https://www.raf.mod.uk/cosford/ I believe that airfield was used extensively by the UBAS over the years also the
main RAF Museum is there. The Birmingham Reference Library might have some info also. Good luck

I was a member of 157 Squadron A.T.C. from 1953 to 1958 when the squadron was disbanded due to two things falling support and the re-development of the area.
national service was coming to the end and interest in pre-entry training organisations such as the A.T.C.
was waning.
I,and I'm sure that the majority of cadets, benefitted greatly from our time with the A.T.C. with camps on
R.A.F. stations which included flying, shooting and sports.
I hope that this info helps,
rayvin

Rod, I was also a member of 157 Sqdn in 1940's, must have been about the same time as you, remember going to 2 fortnight summer camps, one at RAF Valley (where I had my first ever flight (in a Tiger Moth) and the other at RAF Ternhill the following year, flew in Avro Ansons. Went on to serve 8 years in RAF June 1948 to June 1956 as aircrew w/op, including 2 years on the last Lancaster Sqdn, 82(PR) in Africa. (My Avator shows me sitting on one of the engines). Eric

Back