• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

153 Ladywood Road, Birmingham B16

michellemac

Hello

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on a sticking point with my family research.

My grandad was born at 153 Ladywood Road, Birmingham in 1909. I have found on the 1911 census that a CMB Nurse lives there as well as rescue workers and a number of young single females and babies (all a few months old) who are referred to as 'Inmates'. I have not been able to identify which charity organisation is linked to this address. I have also checked the Kelly Trade Directories for this period and the address appears as a residential address. I found my Grandad living as a 'boarder' age 1 year old in a different part of Birmingham on the 1911 census. As I understand it Adoption was not given legal status until 1926 and prior to that children were referred to as 'boarded out' instead of being adopted.
Can anyone help or give any advice as to where I go next?

It is listed as a private address, but is a very large property, as can be seen ( in blue) on the map c 1914.
Mrs Axten is listed as the occupier in 1912 and 1913. I note that just down the road (in red) is the Salvation Army Rescue Home for Women (The Hawthornes). Could it be that no 153 is a mother & baby unit for the Salvation army?
Mike

Salv_army_home_and_153_ladywood_rd_c_1914.jpg

Mike

Thanks very much I have been trying to find out this info on and off for about a year - I should have joined sooner. Where did you obtain the map? It looks like there is a large green area and tennis courts now at the same spot! The building is referred to as a 'rescue training home', on the 1911 census. Did the salvation army deal with adoptions do you know?

Cheers Michelle

Mike - you are always so good at finding information for other members - well done!

michellemac - welcome to the forum - of course you should have joined earlier - this is a great forum!

Polly:)

Hello

Rang the Salvation Army this morning and they confirmed that 153 Ladywood Road was one of their Rescue Training Homes. I'm sending them more information and hopefully there will be able to answer a few more questions!

Eeee its good this geneology lark.

Michelle

Thats good news Michelle - I hope you get all your questions answered - let us know how you get on.
Polly :)

Could someone tell me, what was at 168 ladywood road, birmingham in 1939. Have come across a distant relative who was described on the 1939 census as an inmate of the home? Thanks

From the 1939 Kellys:
168 Salvation Army Maternity & Industrial Home for Women (Maj. Drury, warden) (The Hawthorns)

From the 1939 Kellys:
168 Salvation Army Maternity & Industrial Home for Women (Maj. Drury, warden) (The Hawthorns)

Hi, I found this thread when googling The Hawthorns, and thought it might be helpful if I clarified a few points.

Posts Nos.2 & 6
153 Ladywood Road wasn’t one of ours, although I haven’t been able to find out who did run it.

Post No.4
The Salvation Army did arrange a relatively small number of adoptions in the UK between 1885 and 1953, although the vast majority of adoptions of babies born from our maternity homes and hospital were arranged by local authorities or other adoption societies.

As a result, we do hold a small number of adoption records, although they make only up a small percentage of the records in our possession. Sometimes these records do contain the name of the adoption society concerned.

I have attached a brief history of the home which might be of interest.

Sally Ann Major

Social Historian
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre

Attachments

• The Hawthorns, Ladywood Road.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 20
Back