• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

152 Coldbath Road Hall Green

MJS

proper brummie kid
Hello

Would anyone know if there was a nursing home or hospital at this address in the 1960's.

I think it would have been around where Mosley Golf Club is now

Hope someone can help

MJS

Hi MJS

I don't remember any nursing home or hospital on Coldbath Rd in the 60's. In fact I don't think the side with houses on that the numbers went as high as 152. The land where the golf course was Jack Morris the butchers farm prior to that. Coldbath rd is in Moseley or even Billesley but certainly not Hall Green. Do you mean Cole Bank Rd? I have to say that I am quoting this from memory so I could be wrong.

Phil

Hello Phil

Me and my dippy digit!!!!!!! No It is Coldbath Road but I intended to put Moseley.

The reason for my inquiry is we are doing family research and find that my husband's great grandmother is recorded as dyiny at 152 Coldbath Road but her place of residence is recorded as their family home. So i wondered whether there had been a nursing home on that site at one time.

Thank you for your reply

MJS

If you look on Google Earth Street View you will find Coldbath Road and it looks pretty much as it did when my Dad used to stop off at one of the small shops that were along there. No larg houses so it would have been the place where she lived.

I think there was a large house on Coldbath Road at the junction with Yardley Wood Road, it was demolished and new houses built on the site, must have being early 60's, seem to remember passing there on the no. 11 bus on my way to college.

Colin

Yes Colin you are right - I seem to recall it was owned by Birmingham City Council. Not sure if it was Health or Teaching related. I used to lkive a hundred or so yards away but only up until about 3 years old so no first hand memories to speak of.

Back