• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moss Thomas H Carnegie Hero Fund

lindyloo

master brummie
Please can anyone tell me what happened on 14th December 1935, probably in Birmingham, that would warrant a certificate being presented to an individual by "The Carnegie Hero Fund Trust"
It was presented in "Recognition of Heroic Endeavour to Save Human Life".
Many thanks Lindyloo

Many thanks Lloyd, its most appreciated:)
I have had a look at the site but cannot seem to find any archives, but that might be just me not looking in the right place. I will email them though.
I imagine there might be a reference to it in the newspaper archives at Central Library to, its just getting time to go there.
Thanks again x

I could be miles out with the date, but I think there were some IRA bombings in Brum during 1935. Not sure what others, if any, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the Trocadero in Temple St was blown up.

Anybody else ever heard of this ? cant find anything on the interweb.

Please can anyone tell me what happened on 14th December 1935, probably in Birmingham, that would warrant a certificate being presented to an individual by "The Carnegie Hero Fund Trust"
It was presented in "Recognition of Heroic Endeavour to Save Human Life".
Many thanks Lindyloo

What else do you know about the recipient? Why do you think the event was "probably in Birmingham"? Is 14th December 1935 the event or presentation date?
Is this a certificate you have (or have sight of), might it have been issued in America then somehow come to the UK?
I'm fascinated, love the mystery of a search!

Hi Lloyd, sorry for the delay in replying, Ive been away!!
I have some background info for the event now, It was a chap called Thomas H Moss, it gives South Yardley, Birmingham under his name but doesnt say if that was where the event took place or if it was where he was from (Although I know he was from Birmingham). Apparently he jumped on the back of a runaway horse that had bolted and was heading towards a group of people, and he managed to halt the horse ...
It doesnt say if it was the event day or the presentation day but I would love to find out if it was reported in the papers...I have seen the certificate by the way.
Have you any suggestions for newspapers of that time that may have reported it?

Thanks to you and all that have commented

Back