• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

14th Bn, Royal Warks Regt (1st Birmingham Bn) - service of Pte Joseph W Marsden

diane reed

proper brummie kid
I believe that my great-grandfather’s brother, Joseph W Marsden, may well have served with the 14th Bn, Royal Warkwickshire Regt.

Joseph was born in Birmingham in about 1876 (probably Jan-Mar 1876) and worked as a printer in 1891, a railway worker in 1901 and possibly a fruiterer in 1911.

I do not have any information from family archives on his wartime service, but found a medal index card for one Private Joseph W Marsden, 41882, Royal Warkwickshire Regt. Tracing this to the medal roll, it indicates that he served with the 14th Battalion, i.e. 1st Birmingham Bn. This would tie-in with him being from Birmingham.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to confirm that Pte Joseph W Marsden was indeed one and the same gentleman? I have not been able to find any service record from online search of records at Kew.

Also, are there any other sources where I might be able to find more general information about Pte Joseph W Marsden?

Any assistance shall be greatly appreciated!

Dianne. Have checked the Absent Voters Electoral Roll for Birmingham, 1918/1919, and he isn't on there sorry.

Barrie.

Barrie

Thank you for checking the roll.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the Absent Voters Electoral Roll, as I have never come across this before? Can one find any information on which units men were serving with at the time?

Yes of course it can be found at this link https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/

It is a subscription site, but is very reasonable. The absent Voters List gives name and address and in addition gives the regimental number, rank, and branch of service.

I find it very useful myself.

Barrie

I would be most grateful if anyone has the Birmingham Battalions Book of Honour and can check for Joseph W Marsden...

I cannot find anything else for him, no service or pension records so unable to prove this is the Joseph Marsden you're looking for.
Many WW1 records were lost during air raids in WW2.

Colin

I have checked the Birmingham National Roll Of Honour for WW1 and he is not listed although we know it is not complete.

I have this book so if anyone wants a lookup give me a shout.

Hello Diane

The service number of Pte J W Marsden, 41882, indicates that he was not an original volunteer to the 1st B'ham Bn in 1914. His medal index card shows that he did not enter a theatre of war until after 1st Jan 1916. He was most likely called up and posted to the battalion during the latter two years of the war. By then the 1st Birmingham battalion had extensive casualties and had been topped up by men from other regiments and men from Royal Warwickshire reserve battalions.

Terry

Hi Terry

Thank you for this information!

Are there any other sources of information that I might try?

Best regards

Hello Diane

First, I must apologise, I did not see the messages you posted to me four weeks ago. The only way you can make sure to his war service is to obtain his medals. They will have his number and regiment stamped on them. If no one in the family has got them. Then, I think you can only surmise that Pte J W Marsden maybe your relative. Unless some distant relative has any information. It will be a waste of time contacting the Royal Warwicks museum as they only have the same info that you can get in the web.

Regards

Terry

Hi Diane,
I have not been able to find anything extra to what you already have but I note that his birth, marriage to Ada Barfoot in 1901 and his possible death in 1959, plus the census returns he is recorded as Joseph William MARSTON?
This may have an effect on some of the searches.
Clarkie

Back