• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

14 Station Road, Edgbaston In 1911

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
This may well be one for Mikejee, though others may know. I have DURAND and WOOD ancestors living at this address on the 1911 Census. When the railway branch line closed down in 1934, did Station Road become Station Avenue? The houses in the latter look about the right age. If so, were the houses renumbered, i.e. does this address still exist as 14 Station Avenue?

If not, where was this address in 1911? Many thanks for any info.

Maurice

Maurice - not sure what site you use but Ancestry gives Durand and Wood at 14 Station Avenue on 1911 census.

Janice,

It came from FMP, but I have both - and, of course, this doddery old git may have taken it down wrong. So obviously the same street. Many thanks and I will check in the morning as it is 1:30am here in Crete.

Maurice :)

Maurice
This is a complicated one. As seen from the maps below Station Avenue was always called that. However the short road that connects it to Stanmore Avenue was originally called Station Road, but was changed sometime before 1904 to Percival Road, and remained that. There is no listing of another station road in edgebaston in the 1912 Kellys. The 1912 Kellys, which would probably refer to 1911, lists 8 houses in station avenue (1-8). It does not always list all houses, especially not the smaller ones holding less affluent families. The 1890 map shows 8 houses, all fair sized. The 1904 map gives an extra 6, which are much smaller.

Decided to check this on census. Found the house. thing is it lists address as Station Avenue, not station road. I assume you were looking at a transcription and they made an error in the name of the road, though the entry gives a name rather than a number for the house. The entry is below

map station avenue c1890.jpg map station avenue c1904.jpg map station avenue c1955.jpg

1911.worc.edgbaston. dist.9.p.390A.jpg

Good morning Mike.

Thank you for your maps, and as you say, a bit of a complex one. Wandering with Google Street View shows the original Station Avenue to be very narrow, just about wide enough to get a car down, in fact. With so much foliage and parked cars, it is difficult see any numbers at all. The rightmost one in Percival Road is number 8.

I think I was probably too keen to decipher the house name on the original image to spot that I had erroneously read Road for Avenue. Switching to the FMP transcription, it doesn't record the house name, but says it is number 14. In other words, the last of the most northerly six added houses. At around the same time thereabouts, they seem to have added properties to Stanmore. more or less aligning with the six new houses in Station Avenue, so obstructing any view from Stanmore.

I think for the moment I just have to accept that the house is still standing and that it is the northernmost house in Station Avenue, and that was the basis of my original question. I haven't checked the satellite view yet, but once again, many thanks for your invaluable help.

Maurice

And it is just possible to get a sneaky view!

Attachments

• 14_Station_Avenue.jpg
    14_Station_Avenue.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
My Aunt and Uncle lived from 1935 onwards 9 Station Avenue which was off Stanmore Road. It was a very dark and thin avenue to drive down and certainly not wide enough to do a three point turn, so it was reverse only to get back up to the top. The railway lines were on the right hand side as you went down, but they had lovely little front gardens and just a small yard with outside toilet at the back. No 14 would be the last house down the Avenue.

Last edited:
Carol,

I guess that number 9 was the first of the six new houses that Mike mentions in post #4 above. The houses seem very secluded, but certainly not a place I would want to take a car, and, of course, only one way in. Thanks for your confirmation.

No 9 marked in blue. We never used the front door but the entry dividing 9 & 10. It had a front and middle room and the kitchen was at the end. The bedrooms were accessed from the middle room from where the stairs were. I would say looking at your photo that the end house would be No 14. As a child it was frightening to walk down as there were no lights.

The name of the house seems to be Plas Ucha - as Plas is Welsh I tried looking it up. The nearest is Plas Uchaf which means Upper Hall.
Number 14 is the end house - see 1968 map with 14 marked.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-14_16-7-56.png
    upload_2018-8-14_16-7-56.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 8
Janice,

Thanks for the map, but numbers 13 & 14 are already marked officially and your red mark is what exactly? :)

Looks like you marked 4 instead of 14. I agree with the Welsh Plas, just couldn't fathom out the second word, and certainly Uchaf is possible. In this case the "most northerly house" in Station Avenue!

Maurice

Last edited:
The red mark was just where the road was - it came up when I did a search for Station Avenue. I did not mean to mark the house because, as you said, it was marked already.

I am surprised to see that some residents of Station Avenue have made parking areas out of their front gardens as I had assumed that it was a footpath only and cars had to be parked in Percival Road. I came across Station Avenue back in the late 1950s when I was exploring the Harborne Railway line and went from Stanmore Road to investigate the sound of steam engines one afternoon when I left George Dixons School through the playing field entrance in Stanmore Road. There were not so many trees in the road in those days and you could see the whole avenue from the station yard.

I am surprised to see that some residents of Station Avenue have made parking areas out of their front gardens as I had assumed that it was a footpath only and cars had to be parked in Percival Road. I came across Station Avenue back in the late 1950s when I was exploring the Harborne Railway line and went from Stanmore Road to investigate the sound of steam engines one afternoon when I left George Dixons School through the playing field entrance in Stanmore Road. There were not so many trees in the road in those days and you could see the whole avenue from the station yard.
There wasnt a footpath down there it was more just a thin walkway to access the houses

Back