• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

136 Cattell Rd by Marquis of Lorne

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Does anyone have a photo of 136 Cattell Rd which was close to & on the city centre side of the Marquis of Lorne, please? I understand that the properties were set back a little from the road. I have no idea what the row of houses / shops looked like as I have been searching for a picture for years without success.

Got no photo's, but if I remember right, and if it helps there was a Chip shop next doorto the pub, and a sort of general store next to that, possibly named Richardsons, cant really remember. But it was open quite late, and Sundays etc, and sold pretty well everything. I dont emember the houses being set back, but I remember some of the houses on the opposite side had a small front garden about 3 feet wide.

Thank you, Fatfingers. Now I look at the map I see that its the houses across the road that are set back. My grandparents ran the fish shop back in the 1920s. Would it have been 2 or 3 storey building? Was it a purpose built shop or a house made over to a shop do you think? I used to pass the place as a child, but I simply cannot recall what it was like.

Thank you, Sister Sue. I would greatly appreciate that & would love to hear anything else he can remember about the place.

hi shirl...as you know ive looked for pics of the part of cattell road you are after before but i i did not realise that the chippy was so close to the marquis of lorne pub so if we can find a pic of that it may just show the shop...will ask around for you...

lyn

Other memories of the area, from around 1959 - 1964.

The Chips shop solf Faggots and Peas, you had to take your own bowl. Later it was owned by a foriegn guy called Tony, posibly Greek or Italian. Nice bloke, he used to give me chips in exchange for piles of newspapers, so I went there even though I worked part time in the Chip shop around the corner in Greenway St, peeling spuds during school dinner time, a job a lot of kids around there did at one time or another, no early starts and better money than a paper round.

There was a Butchers opposite side to the chip shop, and a factory diagonally opposite the Marquis, on the corner of Camp St that made Drum Sticks and Brushed I think.

cattell Rd was pronounced Cattle Rd around there by the way.

hi shirl...as you know ive looked for pics of the part of cattell road you are after before but i i did not realise that the chippy was so close to the marquis of lorne pub so if we can find a pic of that it may just show the shop...will ask around for you...

lyn

Lyn

I have several photos of the pub, but they don't show the chippy.

Phil

Phil photos of that particulalr Marquis of Lorne would help show the character of the area at least, so would be much appreciated.

hi phil...do you happen to have any pics of cattell road itself and would you mind posting a pic of the pub as i dont think i have one...

many thanks phil....

lyn

Lyn & Bordesley Exile

These are two of the photos of the Marquis of Lorne Cattell Rd that I have. One is of the pub early on when it went by the name Marquis of Lorne and the other is later when it was called Shannons. (This photo was deleted at a later date because it was found to be another pub.)

I also have this photo of Cattell Rd itself. It is taken from by Templefield St, which will mean more to locals than it does to myself. I can't even say in what direction it is facing Small Heath or Bordesley.

Phil

MarquisOfLorneCattellRd-ArsenalRd.jpg
CattellRd-TemplefieldSt.jpg

Lyn & Bordesley Exile

I also have this photo of Cattell Rd itself. It is taken from by Templefield St, which will mean more to locals than it does to myself. I can't even say in what direction it is facing Small Heath or Bordesley.

Phil

Thats Cattell Rd facing away from town, taken from pretty close to the top of Tilton Rd by the looks of it. You can just about see Underhills shop on the left hand edge.

Looking along the right hand side, the Marquis would have been around where you can see a drop in the roofline.

The tram is going is going into town, on the right of the tram is were my gran had a shop, i worked at lawtons in doris rd and would at dinner break get chips and gran would get the stew we share a feast fit for a king . That was in the early 40s.good days & NOISY NIGHTS.

The third pic in post 14 is Shannons which was the Coach and Horses opposite Charles Road on Bordesley Green , it is still called Shannons it was boarded up but seems to be reopened now
Bernie

Bernie

You are right, I have just took a good look at the photo and its a different pub, this is the trouble if you don't know the area well and you take it for granted that the person who tagged the photo knew what he was on about. I will remove the photo so that this is one myth that doesn't get continued.

Phil

Back