• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

135 Dollman Street and onwards!

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
I lived at 135 Dollman Street, Vauxhall, Nechells from my birth in 1966 until 1971 when I moved to 62 Hurst Lane in Shard End. I was there until I was 20. The following 27 years are as follows: Pithall Road, Shard End to Berrowside Road, Shard End to Glebe Farm Road, Stechford (then back to Hurst Lane a bit!) to Shard End Crecent, Shard End to Hillcross Walk, Bromford to where I am now in Kitts Green! :)

If anyone as any old photo's of those roads or the areas, information on the meaning of the road names, info on the areas etc. then please let me know! :)

Last edited:
Hi bluebrummie

Lived around the corner in Inkerman St, but I have to be honest I didn't know a soul in your road.

Here a picture of Pithall Rd & Berrowside Rd.

Phil

ShardEndBerrowsideRd1951.jpg

ShardEndPithallRdPoliceStation.jpg

Thanks Phil, do you know when they were taken?

I was only a babby so I don't remember much of the old end but I do remember Dad mentioning the names Sparkes! I think they were from Inkerman Street?

bluebrummie

I have no dates for the photo's, but from the look of the buildings I would think shortly after they were built in the early fifties.

I have to be honest I knew little of Inkerman St apart from my house, The Railway Club, The Midland, The Brittania, and there was a factory I worked at for a short while about halfway between Erskine St and Alama Crescent but that would have only been for about 3 months. All my spare time was spent in Birmingham Town Centre.

Phil

I know of The Railway Club because Dad played Darts for them and Duddeston Manor because my Sisters went there. Personally I remember The Train Park, that's it really?

When I was a little nipper I lived in Alma Crescent 1932-38. Dollman st one side and Inkerman St the other. We lived at #27 which was the front house on the street and there was a large yard at the back of us with more houses. On the Dollman st corner was a bakery and on the inkerman st corner there was a little sweet shop owned by two elderly sisters, I think it was called Disternals sweet shop. I remember I had to walk all the way to Loxton st school and back everyday but we thought nothing of it in those days. Up the street above us was a large open yard with houses up the back, and every year on Nov 5th we had our big Bonfire there. In 1938 we moved from there to the new houses in Kingstanding and we were close to Sutton Park and Barr Beacon so me and me mates could walk there whenever we wanted to.
Oh!!! Happy Days.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Phil and Bluebrummie. I dont know whether I have mentioned this before, but I used to spend a lot of time at the Railway Club. Both as a member and as a worker. I spent quite a while working behind the bar there. The last Steward that I recall was Colin, and his wife Babs, but I cant remember their surname. But the one I cant recall at all is the Steward before them. But he was great too. Youre certainly bringing back the memories here. Barry.

BazzM

I used the Railway Club occasionally between 1965 to 1968, but it was from 66-67 that I used it most. They used to have a lot of dances on Saturday nights with some quite good groups. They were quite well attended and I always used to go to those. During the week if it was just lads then we used to be in the snooker room.

Phil

Alas Phil and Barry I was only 4 and a bit when we left so I wasn't allowed in the Railway Club! lol Lovely to hear your memories!

Bluebrummie

So you were too young to have got thrown out of Duddeston Sheds or off the sidings where they parked all the coaches waiting to be cleaned. I did a lot of courting in those coaches and was always being chased off.

Phil

Bluebrummie

So you were too young to have got thrown out of Duddeston Sheds or off the sidings where they parked all the coaches waiting to be cleaned. I did a lot of courting in those coaches and was always being chased off.

Phil

You rascal you! lol

Phil. I must have bumped in to you at the Railway Club, because if there wasnt a dance on, and I wasnt working, then myself and my mates also used to play snooker there.I also used to take some of my records to the club to play over the sound system. Also my old man was on the committee there for a time. Barry.

I lived in 122,Dolman Street from 1935 to 1940 I went to Loxley Street School,and its lovely to hear everyone remembering their childhood,indeed happy times!Does anyone remember the back Street where the house that the Railway man lived,he used to chase us and we called him "Faty Arbuckle".also does anyone remember the Burrows Bros or family Albert,Ronnie,and Leslie,I used to play with them.I rem my Dad used to buy me a cake from the corner bakery ,if I wasnt well or had to go to the dentist!What a treat!

Hi Frank the sparkies were next door to the little shop on dolman street just along from you then they moved to lea village
colin

BazzM

We probably crossed paths a few times, if I wasn't in the Railway Club and I was staying in the area for the evening, then I would be in the Hamlet or the Adelaide most nights.

Here's a photo of myself a couple of years after the times mentioned outside my sisters house in Grey St, off Garrison Lane with her two young sons (full grown men now). I don't think I had changed much in the preceding couple of years. Any hint of recognition?

Phil

0037.jpg

Hi Phil, Your face looks familar to me ,but maybe its because you look like Liam on Coronation Street! I had left Dollman St by 1947 and moved to Ralph Road, after my mother remarried. Ron

Hi Ronald

Nice to meet you, I was born in 1947 and didn't move to the Nechells area until 1953 so its doubtful we ever crossed paths. As I hardly ever watch television I'm afraid I have little idea who Liam is. Coronation St is a programme I haven't watched in over 20 years.

So Ronald what do you remember about Dollman Street and the surrounding area?

Phil

Phil. Sorry to say mate, but I cant definately say that I recognise you. But then again, it was a busy little club wasnt it ? Ive just remembered the name of one of the groups that played there. Do you recall The Bobcats. ? It comprised of 4 very young guys, but they where very good for their age. Barry.

Back