• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

135 Dollman Street and onwards!

i lived at 183 dollman street the shop one the corner was called almans and mr alman used to have a lump on his forehead we used to get penny glasses of pop from there my name was phillips

My Grandmother Florence Hirons was born and lived in Dollman Street No 105 from 1881 till she married then lived first in Cato Street then Galton Street where my Mother was born

There was a church in Inkerman St I believe, can anyone remember its name? By the way some lovely memories have been stirred up by this thread, although I didn't live in any of the streets mentioned I did spend time there in the Midland and the Railway Club especially.

i lived in dollman street and cato street dont know if anyone remembers the bryan family and the demonty family i remember the kirby family but going back to late 60's early 70's i moved from there to kings road kingstanding then nearmoor road shard end the lillington grove shard end to yardley then selly oak and now im in erdington anyone remember the names

Angela

My Mother was your Dad's cousin. Your Grandad's name was John Rowe (known as Jack). My Grandad was his younger brother Robert (known as Bob). I have been researching the Rowe family history for a few years now so I'm very excited to have come across you. I have a photo of your Dad with, I think, your Mom, his sister and a friend. I've never been able to confirm this for sure but you might be able to. I'll dig the photo out and post it if you wish.

I would love to know more about your parents. My Mother's name was Ruby and she too used to play the accordian. I wonder if they were both taught by the same person.

Cheers
Johnny

i carnt believe it i would love to see pics i have got pics of my dad as well could you keep in touch please i dont use this site very often but facebook yes thanks

Hi Loved reading all your memories on DOLLMAN STREET.I lived at 145 INKERMAN STREET and we were the FLOYD FAMILY does anyone remember us?.I went to ST ANNES from 1962 till 1968 Then went to DUDDESTON MANOR.It's true what someone said we never had much but we were HAPPY.Well i have had a trip down memory lane and really enjoyed it wish i could bring the old day's back.Irene

Re: 52 Dollman Street (KIRWANS)

Hi Colette

The Parkes

We lived at 110 Dollman St from the early 60's up till they demolished the houses in the 70's ... I remember the toppings . cusacks ... I also remember the Robinsons ( Jimmy and Carl) .swifts Elizabeth-Mary- Kathleen) kellys ..Bedfords... Gunns (Michael) (they lived in the back houses) and trumans ( big family lived by the fellows out door )

Hi can anyone tell me how to look at the thumbnails ? it's as if the pictures no longer exsist are there any pictures of Dollman St still on here ? i would like to see some . many thanks

I can't add anything of first hand knowledge but after looking for 18th and 19th century Vauxhall gardens...the area here is exactly the spot. With Erskine Street, Vauxhall Road, Newdegate Street, Alma Crescent and the Rea being the perimeter. I wondered why Alma was a crescent and read that originally it was to have fine houses built on it but the area was overtaken by industry and railroads. I wonder if any fine houses were actually built. Inkerman, Dollman, Scot and Spooner were laid out across the old gardens and it would seem that everything that was there disappeared. Including the old manor house.

Dear Rupert,

I had always assumed that Vauxhall Gardens were associated with Duddeston Park and the Manor but this turned up on Friday whilst scouring through some of the new Library's archives which throws a new light on things.

This from John Pigott Smith's 1851 survey of which sadly only a quarter of the original now survives in MS 366/90:

Vauxhall Gardens 1851.jpg

and for comparison a snip from the OS First edition 1889 aligned roughly with JPS's.

Vauxhall Gardens 1889.jpg

In modern parlance the site is immediately east of today's Duddeston railway station and now occupied by a relatively new shed type development opposite the Birmingham Science Museum's storage site in Dollman Street. Running east-west above being Duddeston Mill Road.

I trust your end of town has warmed up a little since your last missive.

Nice to speak with you again and yes we have power, thank goodness. Several years ago I was involved in a study on here about Vauxhall Gardens and there were quite a few pictures posted by several members at the time. The pictures and photo's have probably been deleted now but were on the Nechells thread...'Gosta Green through Nechells' I think it was...or something like... and I can post most of them again if there is any interest. The Gardens were modelled and named after a London, similar, garden feature and stretched from Vauxhall Rd. right down to the river Rea. There being no railroad then. Temporary barracks were there at one time for a mounted regiment I think; later to move to Barrack Street (still extant) The manor house was a part of it all and the entrance to the gardens was right at the bottom of Great Brook Street...now only a little stub. Great Brook St. had some very fine and substantial row houses at one time and Phylis Nicklin captured some shots of these before they were demolished. One shot from Great Brook St. looking across Vauxhall Street to where the Gate and railings to the Gardens would have been...gone by then of course. Pye mentions passing the gardens and tall trees in one of his early 19th century trips by coach to Coleshill from the Bull Ring...turning right down Duddeston Mill Road to the Gate Saltley.
A pretty nice feature for the gentry for a number of years. Cut short by the needs of industry and 'modest accommodation' for workers. In the early years, theatre arrangements were in place for summer shows in conjunction with the Theatre Royal...I seem to have read somewhere.

To go a bit earlier, here are the gardens in the Pigott smith map of 1828. this map was not available to me when Rupert posted his earlier missives

Pigot_smith__1828_vauxhall_gardens.jpg

Thank you Mike, this has jogged the old grey matter this morning.

Both Pigott Smith's 1825 and the SDUK 1839 maps correctly show Vauxhall Gardens as being west of the Grand Junction railway. Seeing Pigott Smith's later survey showing them east of the railway was the surprise though I can now see from John Tallis' 1851 map that the area was by then referred to as New Vauxhall Gardens.

New Vauxhall Gardens.jpeg

JPS's 1850 survey details perhaps the remnants of the original extent as outlined by Tallis but includes a triangular structure on the southern boundary facing north-east to what I believe would have been a bandstand.

A structure exists today in Cheltenham at the Montpellier Gardens where the proscenium facing the bandstand has a similar form.

1683899_bf144b91.jpg bandstand.jpg

Today it is used as an art gallery but the large glazed doors open outwards to reveal a shaped rear wall with flanking separate side rooms.

To Rupert, more musings soon on Cooper's Farm/Ravenhurst Manor buildings.

Re: 52 Dollman Street (KIRWANS)

The Parkes

We lived at 110 Dollman St from the early 60's up till they demolished the houses in the 70's ... I remember the toppings . cusacks ... I also remember the Robinsons ( Jimmy and Carl) .swifts Elizabeth-Mary- Kathleen) kellys ..Bedfords... Gunns (Michael) (they lived in the back houses) and trumans ( big family lived by the fellows out door )

Hello Everyone
Was Mrs Truman an italian lady. I lived in Cathcart Street and remember some of the people that lived in Dollman Street. One of the Gunn family drove for BRS in Pitney street. I went to Loxton Street School and in the same class as myself was Terry Andrews and Phillip Hopton. The Almans who had the shop on the corner of Cathcart Street moved there from Great Francis Street. The well dressed man from the outdoor pub always had spats from his shoes to the bottom of his trousers on whenever he went out. My Aunt and Uncle, The Jacksons, lived in a back house just down from Tants factory. Do you remember Mr Smith the coalman, he stabled his horse at the back of the small general shop between Cathcart Street and Alma Crescent. Lots of good memories. Hope to hear back from you.
Best wishes...Garden Gerald.

Back