• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

13 Bartons Bank, Aston 1940's

T

TomHD

Anyone live on Bartons Bank, Aston, Birmingham during 1940-1960's ? Please get in touch. Did you go to Upper Thomas Street School, aged around 75-80 ?? Who are you? see if my Mom remembers you or you remember her or her brothers? Did you know anyone else ? Betty Roberts ? The cartwright's ??

Love to hear from you..ask you parents or Grandparents please.

Melissa :)

my grand mother and grandfather live in Bartons bank we used to there almost every week end they were the Gibsons Allen

Tom:

I was born at 2/15 Bartons Bank in 1937 and my grandmother & uncle (both LONGMORE) were there until the 1960s. All gone now, of course, replaced (along with Rifle Crescent & several other streets) by three rather ugly tower blocks.

Maurice :cool:

Tom:

I was born at 2/15 Bartons Bank in 1937 and my grandmother & uncle (both LONGMORE) were there until the 1960s. All gone now, of course, replaced (along with Rifle Crescent & several other streets) by three rather ugly tower blocks.

Hi Maurice,
Thank you for the reply. My Mom is from the Cartwright Family & her best friend lived at no.15, Betty Roberts. They are still great friends!! Betty lives in Cornwall & Mom & dad live in Great Barr where we are all settled. Crete or Aston?? Good choice it's a sorry excuse now with such rich history.
Do you know of anyone else on here or personally from the are?

Best wishes

my grand mother and grandfather live in Bartons bank we used to there almost every week end they were the Gibsons Allen

Thank you for the post. Do you remember what number they lived at ?? what school they went too ? everybody seemed to know everybody back then.

Thanks
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I think gibbo2005 must be Eric Gibson whose grandmother lived in the same courtyard, and, if so, he and I have exchanged messages before. I know of no one else on here that has connections with Bartons Bank.

My grandparents, William & Louisa LONGMORE (nee TAYLOR) moved into Bartons Bank during the first decade of the 20th Century, having previously lived in Clarendon Street and, before that, Woodcock Street. The house was quite large by standards for the area and included a cellar in which we would shelter during the early years of the WW2 bombing. My grandfather was a keen gardener, although he died way back in 1920. The soil was very poor, but grapes, red & black currants, and loganberries were still growing beautifully right into the 1960s. When he was alive, he also kept chickens, rabbits and a goat there.

My late mother always spoke very fondly of growing up in this house and of Aston, of course. You are correct in assuming that I now live in Crete. :)

Hi Melissa,

I think gibbo2005 must be Eric Gibson whose grandmother lived in the same courtyard, and, if so, he and I have exchanged messages before. I know of no one else on here that has connections with Bartons Bank.

My grandparents, William & Louisa LONGMORE (nee TAYLOR) moved into Bartons Bank during the first decade of the 20th Century, having previously lived in Clarendon Street and, before that, Woodcock Street. The house was quite large by standards for the area and included a cellar in which we would shelter during the early years of the WW2 bombing. My grandfather was a keen gardener, although he died way back in 1920. The soil was very poor, but grapes, red & black currants, and loganberries were still growing beautifully right into the 1960s. When he was alive, he also kept chickens, rabbits and a goat there.

My late mother always spoke very fondly of growing up in this house and of Aston, of course. You are correct in assuming that I now live in Crete. :)

Maurice,

Spoke to Mom yesterday, she remembers your family! I'll show her your posts later. Her Brother, Harry (known as Al Wright) is still entertaining around Brum, however he is moderatly trotting towards 78 yrs old. He used to play in a skiffle group & goes around playing the Ukulele singing old time songs, george fornby ect with a 'memory lane' chat inbetween numbers! He's a veteran in the circuit & used to support some big names back then. I manuscripted an 'autobiography' book for him about 5 years ago, all about life in the clubs around Brum..it's a gem! never published, just gave it him & he passed it around family to read.
Hopefully, gibbo2005 will reply? & thank's a million for your time. Mom & I are going to our local library soon for a talk by a WW2 evacuee !! Soo privaliged, can't wait!
Hope sunny Crete boads well in retirement, if you think of anything else..let me know.

Kindest regards, Melissa.

Hi Melissa,

Fascinating stuff, though I regret to say that all of the LONGMOREs have passed on, so there is no one to ask about the CARTWRIGHTs or Betty ROBERTS. I know that my mother went to Gower Street School and that both my parents, as did many of my other relations, worked for Perry Pens in Lancaster Street.

I can, however, provide a picture of the family (second picture) taken in the garden at Bartons Bank in 1912, just before my youngest uncle, Albert, was born. My mother is the little girl on the left.

The first photograph may be of more interest to your mother if she remembers the LONGMOREs. This is the wedding (in 1961) of my Uncle Albert, who lived at the Bartons Bank house from 1914 until around 1957. His elder brother William is on the right of the photograph.

Regards,

Anyone live on Bartons Bank, Aston, Birmingham during 1940-1960's ? Please get in touch. Did you go to Upper Thomas Street School, aged around 75-80 ?? Who are you? see if my Mom remembers you or you remember her or her brothers? Did you know anyone else ? Betty Roberts ? The cartwright's ??

Hi Melissa l lived @1 back of six Barton’s Bank 1940 till 1959 we were the Brindleys Winnie Betty John David and Frank would love to hear from you all I new Harry my brothers went upper Tomas street school

Lyn,

I've seen that pic before and it must has been taken shortly before the whole lot was pulled down. Shame, I quite liked that little street.

Lyn,

I've seen that pic before and it must has been taken shortly before the whole lot was pulled down. Shame, I quite liked that little street.

quite right maurice i posted it somewhere else on the forum some time back..very hard to come by

lyn

Hi. My Dad and his family lived on Thomas St in the fifties possibly the forties too. Jack Marge John Ray and Michael

Back