• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

120 Bromsgrove St

K

KitsuneMoon

Hi,

i am not really sure where to look for this information as it is purely for curiosity.
i currently work at peters book selling services which is located at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]120 Bromsgrove St, ,Birmingham, B5 6RJ.
it looks to be a very old building and i would really like to dig deeper and discover what it was in the past, as far back as possible. there is also a beautiful old listed building next door which is currently boarded up and derelict, that is also of great interest to me as it is an amazing looking building and i can't imagine what it might have once been.

any information and pictures would be wonderful:beam:
[/FONT]

121 - 130 Bromsgrove st (presumably your next door building) was occupied for many years by O.C.Hawkes Ltd, looking glass manufacturers. Haven't found 120 yet, but will have another look later
mike

Hi KitsuneMoon

Here is a little of the history from 1950 back to 1903. I'm sure that Mikejee will come up with a photo for you. He has quite a few of that area.

Bromsgove St
20 Grimley Jn brace & belt mfrs

Bromsgrove St
20 Grimley Jn brace & belt mfrs

20 Grimley Jn.brace & belt mfrs

19 Brown Mrs. Nellie,
battery service station
21 Horner William Creameries
Ltd. provsn.mers

Phil

Phil
Have just checked a 1902 map, and the looking glass works is to the east of gooch st , and takes up the whole length of the southern side from gooch st to lower essex st, other than the pub at the far end. However, have just checked the peters book services site for directions, and it looks as if there has been a slight renumbering, and what used to be 121 is now 120. Therefore your building is part of the old O.C. Hawkes glass looking glass makers. The derelict building next door is the old Rose & Crown Pub.
I'm afraid Phil is a bit optimistic, as I don't have any pictures of that part of Bromsgrove st
Mike

Hi Mike

I just assumed that as this member was looking for a history of No 120 it would be the aged 120 he would be looking for. Though as I have said to you previously assumption is a very dangerous tool.

I have looked through my photo's also, and all the photo's I seem to have are towards the middle and other end of Bromsgrove St, but I will keep looking.

Phil

Phil
I'm pretty sure its the right one, as , if you look on virtual earth (or google earth, but less obviously) the next door building (rose & crown) does look really derelict
Mike

I'm pretty sure you are right as well Mike. If you look at my post you will see that not only is my sight failing, but so is my brain. I have posted a history of No 20 Bromsgrove St, when its a history of 120 that is required.

KitsuneMoon, please forgive my senility. Mike I don't have to apologise to you as you already know I'm an idiot.

Phil

In 1962, 120/129, Bromsgrove St was the premises of Brown Brothers Ltd, motor accesories.

The premises are in Kellys as a O C Hawkes till 1933/ They are not mentioned in 1940, 44, or 50, but reappear as Browns in 1956. Sa can be seen from the circa 1902 map and present day google, only a part of the old looking glass site is occupied by the present n0 120.

mike

map_120_bromsgrove_st_c1902.jpg

2008_120_bromsgrove_st.JPG

Hi People
Just noticed this post about Bromsgrove st and I know it's of subject but do you know if there was a coffe house or cafe in the st in the early 1940's or before as I
think my father run one there around that time.

Many Thanks J.T.

Dont know if this helps:
Bromsgrove St
3 Preece Fredk. Thos.dining rms
57 Greenhaf Mrs. Dorothy,coffee .rms
144 Fox Mrs. Ada, dining rms
155 Ellis Oliver, dining rms
156 Markov K. fried fish dlr
174 Gosbell Mrs. Edna,coffee rms

3 Preece Fredk. Thos.dining rms
57 Fox, Mrs Ada ,coffee rooms
144. Ranford, Alfred john, dining rooms
155 Ellis Oliver, dining rms
156 Kenerlley,walter. fried fish shop
174 Gregory EdgarWallace coffee rooms
Mike

There was a cafe in Bromsgrove Street in the mid 60's,opposite the (I think it was called) The Garden of Eden nightclub (a rather dubious place,scene of a murder in 1965/66).
We used to call it the Blue cafe because it was painted blue!!!
We used to go there for tea on mom's hairdressing days (no time to cook between having her hair done and opening up the pub!).
On one memorable occasion somebody threw a man from the "club" across the road straight through the window of the cafe.
We started using the one on Hurst Street next to the Locarno after that incident!

Hi
Thanks Mikejee Preece is the one I was looking for my fathers old snooker partner you woud'nt happen to know if there are any photos of it any where.

Many Thanks J.T.

I don't have any pictures, but it was just arround the corner from Jamaica Row, 3 doors down, so I would have thought there was one somewhere.
Mike

hello all, i worked for a short time at Brown Bros in the basement on the bailing machine, as regards a cafe in the street there was one at the top end of gooch st i used it quite often myself.

shardeen

Hi, I know this is a good few years after you asked the question about 120 bromsgrove street but I've only just come across it.
I have imformation about the address. I worked there from 1979 until 1987 my first job at 15 years of age. it was owned by a family called edmund brothers. Which were a firm who produced leather goods. I think they had moved to this location a few years before. I understand it was browns paints before that.
It was a great place to work with some really nice people. I remember the olderly brothers still worked there. We had to call them Mr Jim, Mr Harold, Mr fred and Mr Ron because they were all edmund. They were all in their 80s but still very active. They sold up about 1983 and we lasted another 4 years before it closed down and we were all made redundant.
I am still in contact with 2 of the guys I worked there with even though its been 33 years since it closed down.
There were about 40 women who worked there on sewing machines, packing etc.
But only 6 men. Xmas party's were fun as you can amagine.
The last time I was in the area a good few years ago it was the book store you work at, or did work at.
Hope this is some interest to you.

hi tezbcc sadly the poster who started this thread is now only a guest unless they rejoin the forum will not be able to reply to your post which i found very interesting...many thanks

lyn

Back