• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sherlock Street

My grandfather jacob Winter lived at 11 Sherlock Street from around 1918-1926. It was a four storey building including a tailoring factory and the family lived on the 4th floor.
I was wondering what Kellys and the electoral roll told about the occupants from around 1918-1926.
Thanks in advance,
Gareth

The only Kellys I have for that period is 1921 which gives:
11 & 13 Storry W.E.&Co.Ltd,.wholesale . clothing minufrs
The absent voters electoral roll for no 11 in 1918 gave:
Frederick George Clapp, 256826, Pte, ASC, 6th Rly Supply
The electoral rolls for 1920, were:
1920 Lucy Clapp & William Field
But there appears to be no entry for 1922 or 1925
Mike

There are several maps and pictures on here that identify Sherlock Street years before it was built. It was built alongside or over a filled in leat that fed the mill pool of Astericks/Lloyds watermill in Mill Lane. There is a contemporary photo on here that I thought possibly showed that address but on second thoughts it was Moat Row...a little higher up the slope. But still, the same date about; maybe a little earlier...possibly did not change that much between.

Last edited:
In the 1904 Directory there is
Winter Jacob, Tailor, 66 Digbeth

In the 1916 directory there is
Winter Jacob,Tailor, 33a Bristol St,

in the 1927 directory there are
Winter Jacob, Tailor, 56 Bristol St, and 531 Bristol Road, Bournbrook, Selly Oak

Thanks Rupert. I had not the information on 33a Bristol Street BEFORE.
Most helpful.
Thanks also for the photos and map tips,
Cheers,
gareth

Gareth
There are no entries in the electoral roll for no 11 in 1925, 1927 , 1930 or 1935 but in 1939 it is Alfred Powell. This means there was no-one listed as living there on the roll to vote, but they may not have registered, or may not have been eligible to register .
Mike

My grandfather jacob Winter lived at 11 Sherlock Street from around 1918-1926. It was a four storey building including a tailoring factory and the family lived on the 4th floor.
I was wondering what Kellys and the electoral roll told about the occupants from around 1918-1926.
Thanks in advance,
Gareth
My biological grandmother was born at 57 Sherlock Street 1914

Are there any old photos of Sherlock Street around 1914-18 and who might have lived there? I am interetsted in number 57 which is no longer there.

The earliest listings in the online electoral roll for no 57 are for 1920 and list Kate Dingley & Harry Lea Morley. No 57 is not listed in the 1913 or 1915 Kellys

That's very interesting Mike, thank you. If there was no entry, what possibly could that mean, as I know my family were there in 1914 from a birth certificate? I am trying to find out who else was there with them as there was some shall we say jiggery pokery goings on I have not to to the bottom of.

My great grandparents Thomas and Annie Farley lived at Court 3, House 1 Sherlock St, my grandparents also lived in Sherlock St where my Mother was born in 1926 but I don't know which number. They were rehoused in South Yardley in 1938. If anyone has any photos of Sherlock St or knows where I can find some, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

There is or was another Forum called Birmingham Forum which has pictures of old Sherlock Street. I mistakenly thought it was Birmingham History Forum. I typed Sherlock St into Google and it was one of the things that came up.

These are the earliest photos of Sherlock St that I can find, but nothing as early as 1914-18

Attachments

• Highgate Sherlock St 1937.JPG
    Highgate Sherlock St 1937.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 88
  • City Sherlock Street - Hurst Street.jpg
    City Sherlock Street - Hurst Street.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Edgbaston Sherlock St 1953.JPG
    Edgbaston Sherlock St 1953.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Highgate Hurst St Sherlock St .jpg
    Highgate Hurst St Sherlock St .jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Highgate Sherlock St .jpg
    Highgate Sherlock St .jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 80
Nico
Pre- 1918, unless they were owners of property of more than a certain value, in which case they could vote at local elections, women were not included in the electoral roll as they did not have the vote. Therefore if no men were permanently resident then the house would not then be included in the electoral rolls

Thanks Mike, that also makes a lot of sense then. I would think they were back to backs. I found the 1911 Census Books stating a Mr Wood lived there T 57 with 2 other males and a female. I could not find him on the Census Proper though which would give the names If I got hold of relevant Kelly's Books and there was no one listed between 1914-18 that could one reason as you have given me. If the man of the house were away at war would he be listed do you know? That is another theory. I did find lots of other families though listed as living in courts or lots of men at one address who were 'inmates' . They also list prisoners in the census in other areas.

I believe there were no electoral rolls taken during WW1 (or WW2), as there were no elections, though presumably there would be one in 1914, as the war only started late in the year. There were rolls of absent voters listed in 1918, and 1919 (and i think i have seen some for 1920).

I wonder what the pub is Carolina? Love the cars and the wonk Belisha beacons. And the lamps. That chimney staakc looks dodgy. I Googled sherlock Street now and the old map Mike sent me a while ago with 57 highligted in blue. On the old map Sherlock St appears to coinue instead of curving to the right am I correct. Skinner St or Lane now stops after it bends. Nico

Back