• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

11 Plus Exams

I failed the 11plus. I was supposed to go to Waverley Rd Grammer School where I sat the exam. I turned up for the exam and I freaked out at the the very thought of having to go there if I passed. The place just filled me with dread.
As I was a pretty good student it came as a suprise to my teachers and somewhat to my parents. I went to a secondary modern school, was doing alright as a student but hated the place and was glad to pass for Handsworth Technical School.
This meant travelling across the city every day but I was happy to do that and actually had a couple of jobs in Handsworth at one time and another.
I've had quite a few different jobs and have maintained the view that you should be content whilst earning your living, if not move on. In my defence I did work in the finance side of an airline for 20 years and as a cleaner at a university for 7, plus self employed as a gardener in semi- retirement.
I sometimes wonder how it may have been had I have passed the 11 plus. Cheers

I failed the 11plus. I was supposed to go to Waverley Rd Grammer School where I sat the exam. I turned up for the exam and I freaked out at the the very thought of having to go there if I passed. The place just filled me with dread.
As I was a pretty good student it came as a suprise to my teachers and somewhat to my parents. I went to a secondary modern school, was doing alright as a student but hated the place and was glad to pass for Handsworth Technical School.
This meant travelling across the city every day but I was happy to do that and actually had a couple of jobs in Handsworth at one time and another.
I've had quite a few different jobs and have maintained the view that you should be content whilst earning your living, if not move on. In my defence I did work in the finance side of an airline for 20 years and as a cleaner at a university for 7, plus self employed as a gardener in semi- retirement.
I sometimes wonder how it may have been had I have passed the 11 plus. Cheers
Great assessment Tim! I too believe that being content or enjoying what you do is so very important, then it’s not really work!
i did not pass the 11+ and believe it took me in a better direction at least for me.......

At 84 I still work 5 eight hour days a week, in addition to being an NVQ assessor and internal verifier new title internal quality auditor. I have complete freedom to run this training company we train people on diggers, dumpers and forklifts etc. It is the best job I have ever had and I have had some good ones, you are right do the job you enjoy and even in these uncertain times give it your best. We started back in the workplace, second week in June and have not looked back.

Bob

At 84 I still work 5 eight hour days a week, in addition to being an NVQ assessor and internal verifier new title internal quality auditor. I have complete freedom to run this training company we train people on diggers, dumpers and forklifts etc. It is the best job I have ever had and I have had some good ones, you are right do the job you enjoy and even in these uncertain times give it your best. We started back in the workplace, second week in June and have not looked back.

Bob
Bless you Bob!

Bob. I am 87 I still work everyday 3-4 hours non stop very stressful and sometimes painful. RIDING MY BLOODY BIKE!!!! But all serious aside, I admire what you do and it is at least helpful to others, great that you are still doing what you enjoy, as I do.
15327349_921362144630489_1729342492112877852_n.jpg

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just seen Sospiri’s comment about the age rule. It’s news to me. Born in May 1948 I started at the grammar school in September 1958 and had finished my stint in July 1965. A third year in the sixth form was suggested, to better my rather spotty A-levels but I was attracted by what Alan Sillitoe describes as “the towering world of work” and left to join the taxpaying (eventually) throng.

Bob. I am 87 I still work everyday 3-4 hours non stop very stressful and sometimes painful. RIDING MY BLOODY BIKE!!!! But all serious aside, I admire what you do and it is at least helpful to others, great that you are still doing what you enjoy, as I do.
View attachment 148537

Bob
Yes but I would rather bike riding with the Lycea clad bikers all 80 to 90 at Ventura Beach CA it is flatter there. However good for you, and so much healthier than what I do, in that clear mountain air. Keep at it y'all
Bob
Bob

At only 82 I feel that some of you are making me feel a bit inadequate.
Rubbish Tim, inadequacy is only in the mind if you want to put it there, remember every morning, get up look in the mirror and say good morning superman, got through the night and today I will save the world.....then wipe the steam of the mirror and blame the wrinkles on the smears from your wiping off....take care and enjoy every lockdown minute by the way these face masks help because you cannot look miserable in one, but one question for the inhabitants of Birmingham, do they still do the 11+ and how many grammar schools are left?
Bob

do they still do the 11+ and how many grammar schools are left?
Bob
No 11+ for majority but those wishing to go to a King Edward's school have to sit an entrance exam which, I think, is like an 11+ exam. (At least it used to be).
11+ for everyone disappeared with the advent of comprehensive education in 1974.
According to Google (as I wasn't sure) there are 8 grammar schools in Birmingham.
Bishop Vesey for boys and Sutton Grammar for girls + 6 King Edward's.

No 11+ for majority but those wishing to go to a King Edward's school have to sit an entrance exam which, I think, is like an 11+ exam. (At least it used to be).
11+ for everyone disappeared with the advent of comprehensive education in 1974.
According to Google (as I wasn't sure) there are 8 grammar schools in Birmingham.
Bishop Vesey for boys and Sutton Grammar for girls + 6 King Edward's.
Thanks very much, the main KES I did know about because they rate high in exam lists and often feature on TV and in papers and I went to BVGS and recently went in on a visit, very impressive nowadays. 6 KES? The big one & Aston I remember from those far off days, what were the other five please?

bOB

Thank you so much. Never knew that Camp Hill and Handsworth were KES, always knew them as Camp Hill GS & Handsworth GS. Good to see Sutton GS for girls still going I wonder if they still wear those green and I think yellow summer dresses with boaters and brown gymslips in winter.....aaaah the murky past

bob

Rubbish Tim, inadequacy is only in the mind if you want to put it there, remember every morning, get up look in the mirror and say good morning superman, got through the night and today I will save the world.....then wipe the steam of the mirror and blame the wrinkles on the smears from your wiping off....take care and enjoy every lockdown minute by the way these face masks help because you cannot look miserable in one, but one question for the inhabitants of Birmingham, do they still do the 11+ and how many grammar schools are left?
Bob
The FIRST thing IS TO GET UP!! After that, all will fall in place HaHa!!!

Back