• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

10th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1918

Unusual as you say but as he seems to have been the only one killed I suppose it was easy to record. At least his death was most likely quick.
Janice,
I think he was the only one killed on that day, probably by a sniper, if you look at the WD next day another soldier is killed in the same way.

Yes. That is what I thought. Usually so many died it was impossible to record them all in a war diary.

Hi, we have just discovered the name of my husbands great uncle who died 21st October 2018 , his picture has sat on our wall for years and with the help of the internet I have finally worked out he is Arthur Lake born 1889 of Kenilworth. I have found a photograph of him online and it is the same as the chap who sits on our wall. He was in the Royal Warwickshire 10 th regiment . I have found where his name is on the commonwealth war graves and on the memorial at Kenilworth ..I have also read about these war diaries I’m not a paid member of ancestry , just on a free trial and have found this and wonder if it may relate to Sarjt. Arthur Lake .I have also heard about a book called Landers war, does anyone have it ? Thanks in advance. 1636774641435.jpeg

Hi, we have just discovered the name of my husbands great uncle who died 21st October 2018 , his picture has sat on our wall for years and with the help of the internet I have finally worked out he is Arthur Lake born 1889 of Kenilworth. I have found a photograph of him online and it is the same as the chap who sits on our wall. He was in the Royal Warwickshire 10 th regiment . I have found where his name is on the commonwealth war graves and on the memorial at Kenilworth ..I have also read about these war diaries I’m not a paid member of ancestry , just on a free trial and have found this and wonder if it may relate to Sarjt. Arthur Lake .I have also heard about a book called Landers war, does anyone have it ? Thanks in advance. View attachment 163786
I have a copy of 'Lander's War', (and recommend it). Can I help ?

Looks as if Arthur Lake was a regular soldier. He, as I am sure you know, was in the army in Bombay on the 1911 census.
It also looks as if he was moved around as men died battalions were often merged. You might have found this - medal rolls
1636819904420.png

Are you sure the record you have is for the 10th battalion?
This is the entry I found - page heading first then 21 Oct
1636820732271.png

1636820676869.png

Hi, we have just discovered the name of my husbands great uncle who died 21st October 2018 , his picture has sat on our wall for years and with the help of the internet I have finally worked out he is Arthur Lake born 1889 of Kenilworth. I have found a photograph of him online and it is the same as the chap who sits on our wall. He was in the Royal Warwickshire 10 th regiment . I have found where his name is on the commonwealth war graves and on the memorial at Kenilworth ..I have also read about these war diaries I’m not a paid member of ancestry , just on a free trial and have found this and wonder if it may relate to Sarjt. Arthur Lake .I have also heard about a book called Landers war, does anyone have it ? Thanks in advance. View attachment 163786
Are you sure the record you have is for the 10th battalion?
This is the entry I found - page heading first then 21 Oct
View attachment 163806

View attachment 163805
1636832879337.jpegThank you for looking into this, as far as we know he was 10th battalion i found him on the census return but didn’t realise he was in India. I also found this on the register of soldiers effects which says 10 th battalion.

Yes and the war diary page I posted is headed 10th battalion. It is different from the diary page you posted. So my question was is your page also 10th bn? I tried to find your page but didn't manage it.

I did a search of 21st October Warwickshire 10th on the ancestry military diary search page but now you mention it, not convinced it’s right. Thankyou for your assistance. I think I need to spend lots of time researching him. I new to this so lots to learn.

I did a search of 21st October Warwickshire 10th on the ancestry military diary search page but now you mention it, not convinced it’s right. Thankyou for your assistance. I think I need to spend lots of time researching him. I new to this so lots to learn.
I called up the diaries. Then clicked on Royal Warwicks and 19th division. (I first looked up 10th battalion and found they were 19th div). Then I went through the pages to find 21 Oct. Long way but ensured I found 10th bn.

Yeh it is , I just found this too which confirms it, thank you

Back