• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

10th Battalion (19th Western Division) Royal Warwicks

Christina

master brummie
My Great Uncle Thomas Redding was in the above,joiningin July 1915. I have two full A4 binders on stuff I have found out about where he fought, his regiment, photographs etc. Found his final resting place and have visited twice. Also have his medals, which I had cleaned and re-strung, his dead mans penny and scroll of honour.

The only thing I have got, to finish off my history, is a photograph of him or perhaps his regimental photo.

I cannot find any living family members to see if they have one, and having tried the regiment they cannot help either.

Anyone have any ideas?

He was killed on 7th June 1917 on the afternoon of the Battle of Messines Ridge. I was fortunate enough to go on a guided tour last time I visited were the battle line was shown to me and I was permitted to put a poppy cross in the area. He actually died of his wounds.

He lived at 6/105 Floodgate Street in Birmingham.

If anyone can give any assistance I would be most grateful.

Christina

Christina

I have attached the Battalion Report from the 10th Royal Warwicks War Diary concerning the attack on 7 June 1917.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry

Thank you so much for the attachment. I had a diary entry from the regiment but nothing on this scale, it is more precise.

Needless to say it has gone into my folder adding another piece to my Great Uncle Tom's war record.

Again my sincere thanks, it really is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris

Hi Christina my Great uncle was a Reg Serg Major in the 10th Battalion RWR he was a long service man he joined in 1892 and fought at Atbara with the 1st Battalion RWR. Just wondering if you have found any photos of the 10th Battalion at all on your travels, I don't have a photo of Edward Joseph Pratt but have the war diary and Landers War Diaries book which was an brilliant read..and even mentions my Edward Joseph saying he was a Kind Hearted Soul much loved by everyone, he was hit in the side Sept 20th 1917 at Menin Rd, he refused stretcher bearers and walked all the way back to the dressing station were he dropped down dead, so heart wrenching. someone mentioned they took Sergeant's mess photos I live in hope he maybe one one... regards Colette

Hi Christina
Your Great Uncle is mentioned in 'The National Roll Of The Great War' Section VI Birmingham. Relatives would pay to have information printed in this book in about 1920-21. It reads;
Redding T, Pte, Royal Warwickshire Regt. He volunteered in October 1915, and early in the following year was sent to France, where he took part in various engagements, including those at Ypres, Loos and on the Somme. He was unfortunately killed during heavy fighting at Kemmel Hill on June 7th 1917, and was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals. 6/105 Floodgate Street, Deritend, Birmingham.
Thomas Redding Royal Warwickshire Regiment is mentioned in the 'Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men And Woman Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914-1918'

Regards

Tony

Hi Christina my Great uncle was a Reg Serg Major in the 10th Battalion RWR he was a long service man he joined in 1892 and fought at Atbara with the 1st Battalion RWR. Just wondering if you have found any photos of the 10th Battalion at all on your travels, I don't have a photo of Edward Joseph Pratt but have the war diary and Landers War Diaries book which was an brilliant read..and even mentions my Edward Joseph saying he was a Kind Hearted Soul much loved by everyone, he was hit in the side Sept 20th 1917 at Menin Rd, he refused stretcher bearers and walked all the way back to the dressing station were he dropped down dead, so heart wrenching. someone mentioned they took Sergeant's mess photos I live in hope he maybe one one... regards Colette

Hello Collette, Sorry Idon't have a photo, that and one of my Great Uncle Tom are the only things I don't have. Have medals, was diary and lots of other stuff. I live in hope as you do. Regards Christina

Hello Tony

Just picked your reply up. Thanks for your help, but I've already sorted this out. He was actually killed at Messines Ridge and I've been a few times to his grave. I've actually written a couple of books following him but only for my family, they will never be published for general use, they are personal as you can imagine.

Have copies of war diaries, and lots more. This actually started me off on family history, which I have been doing for some 7 years now, and teach a small class of bigginers.

Thank you.

Regards

Chris

My grandfather, Joseph Banford was in 10th Bn RWR. My mother tells me he was in "from 1914 until the end". I haven't been able to find out much about my granddad's service, that side of the family were very good at throwing things away, looking at his medal card however, I find that he had two numbers. As well as his RWR number, (34436), he also has one from the Worcesters, (41216). I'd love to know which regiment he joined first and why he changed units. (I don't give much for my chances !).

Hiya I feel for you as there seems to be nothing out there for Joseph, just like my Edward NO ww1 records survived..I was lucky he already had a military career before ww1, it could be as the 10th Royal Worcesters were part of the 57th brigade he was moved from the 10th Royal Warwicks to them for what reason I wouldn't know.

Frustrating isn't it ? My mother remembers a picture of her Dad in uniform and he had the Warwick's cap badge so I imagine he was transferred from the Worcesters, having joined them first. I look at my mother sometimes and I'm amazed to think that her Dad was in the trenches when she was born, (1917).

Joseph Banford's number in the Worcesters is not far from that of a man I researched a while ago. He was actually transferred into the Worcesters on 6 July 1917, while in a camp at Calais. He had landed in France on 6 June and before that had been with the 12th Battalion of the Training Reserve at Brocton in Staffordshire. It looks to me as though Joseph was also transferred on that date, after arriving in France with his Warwicks' number. It would not surprise me if Joseph had been with the 33rd Battalion of the Training Reserve (formerly the 13th Royal Warwicks) at Wool in Dorset. My man was posted into the Worcesters' 2/8th Battalion but you would need to check Joseph's entry in the roll of the British War Medal and Victory Medal (at the National Archives) to confirm that he did the same. I hope this helps a bit.

HI Colette what a great link just been on it and found my uncles will, John william Thomas Emery (BILL) D.O.W 1918 cost £6, its a ten day wait before I get to see it and can download it,cant wait THANKS for the link michael

Hi Michael I saw all about this on the news a few weeks ago, thought it would be a while before it came online was shocked they already had a beta test site...glad you found someone

Colette

HI Colette just received my download so never had to wait that long,you do need adobe reader to receive it(not that I know what that is I just know I,ve got it) I am pleased with the results this is what I received.IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Back