• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

100 Years Ago Today

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two Brummies were married 100 years ago today, on 31st January 1921.

"On 31 January 1921, at the Parish Church Harborne, in the County of Stafford, Henry Maurice Myers, bachelor, 21 years, Assistant Works Manager, of 80 North Road, son of Charles Myers, Dealer in Fine Arts, and Elsie Tovey, spinster, 21 years, of 43 Wood Lane, daughter of George Tovey, Musician, were Married, after Banns, according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by me, E. B. Allen, Assistant Priest; in the presence of Charles M. Myers, Charles Ernest Newnham and Gracie Irene Myers; in the registration District of Kings Norton".​

The bridegroom, born 22 November 1899 at 38 Summer Lane, had spent his childhood at his place of birth, at two addresses in Snow Hill and then later at Chessetts Wood before Great War service. The bride, born 25 August 1899 at 10 Court 5, Great Colmore Street, spent most of her childhood, after central Birmingham, with her grandmother and step-grandfather in Knowle. Where, when and how the couple met is unclear. Here is she, as a young child, in a garden in Knowle:

FEM1906or7.jpg

And he, in his Snow Hill days, at around the same time:

HMMca19041.jpg

Later, nearer the time of their marriage, she in 1920 with Billie, Harry's family's dog:

FMandBillyca1920img754.jpg

And he, a bit more than a year earlier, in Scotland, recovered from wounds and nearing demob.

HMMHighland1919.jpg

Together.....

HMpossFMca1920see789mg790.jpg

After the wedding Henry (known as Harry) and Elsie (known as Freda) set up home in "rooms" at 41 Wood Road, Harborne and later at 143 Selly Oak Road, King's Norton - they were difficult times in "A Land Fit For Heroes", especially for those who married young and wanted to start a family.

There are no images and little further documentary evidence of the events of 31st January. Just fragments, a couple of telegrams. The marriage survived three children and 53 years until Harry's death in 1974.

And there is a little enamelled metal box with the crumbling remains of a dried flower inside; and a note in a familar hand which says: "This is the carnation which my dearest wore in his button-hole on the day we were married".

They were good people and wonderful parents. And, as you may have guessed, they were my Mum and Dad.

Remembered today and always.

Chris

lovely tribute to your mom and dad chris...they would be very proud i am sure...and your dad a summer laner as well...

lyn

Thanks for very kind comments.

I've been reminded by a family member that this makes today ALSO the fiftieth anniversary of the celebration of their Golden Wedding.

So it's cheers from them to us and from us to them!

image092crop.jpg

Chris

Back