• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1 Perry Barr to Erdington

thanks mike thats what i thought...the aston lane part of tufnols that you see in the photo was demolished only a few years back but the wellhead lane part is still up and running...nice to see that the map also shows the line of houses in the photo...

lyn

Think it might have been Bill Switchgear's place. There was an alleyway leading from Aston Lane to Bill Switchgear behind the houses.

image.jpeg

Tufnulls (formerly Geo Ellisons) was closer to Wellhead Lane and occupied both sides of Wellhead Lane. As can be seen by these two photos. See "E" for Ellisons on the Wellhead Lane gates. Viv.

Last edited:
hi viv yes the alley way did lead to switchgears but the factory you see in the distance was not switchgears as confirmed to me by someone who worked there..cant be certain though if the building in the distance was in fact part of tufnols...i watched it being demolished its just waste ground now

Oops thought we were talking about the factory behind the houses on Aston Lane, The electrical insulating co on Mikes map on Wellhead Lane/Aston Lane is/was definitely Geo Ellisons/later Tufnoll. Both my mum and dad worked there and I remember waiting outside the factory to meet them after work. Geo Ellisons/Tufnolls on the other side of Wellhead Lane (just off Mikes map to the right) has been demolished but still has the gates with Ellison's 'E' logo on it. Looks like Tufnolls on the other side (marked Electrical insulating co on Mikes map) is still there today. Viv.

image.jpeg

thats great viv so now we know for sure what the factory in the distance was...actually its only been in the past few months they have cleared all the rubble away..and as i said earlier the wellhead lane part of tufnols is still up and running

lyn

Last edited:
A few more photos of this section of the route, we have among these, Brookvale Rd crossing the canal bridge, The bottom of Marsh Hill by Gypsy Lane, and a couple of the junction of Reservoir Rd and Sutton New Rd.

The picture in post 13 entitled "Brookvale Road crossing the canal bridge" is actually looking from near the railway bridge at Witton. The bus is travelling towards the bridge and passing over the river Tame having passed Tame Road. The road curves to the left and on the right can be seen Hardy Spicer and further round the Yew Tree pub. A closer view of this area can be seen on my picture from the 70s seen here...

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/30903991

A further view from the canal bridge, before the motorway, can be seen here...

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/30901569

Living in Brookvale Road for around 50 years. If I was to recall the journey on the Outer Circle from Perry Barr to Six Ways Erdington...

Rush hour traffic jams around Witton Circle.
The mesmerising motor that was for ever spinning at Higgs Motors.
The regular flooding around Tame Road and the Yew Tree pub.
Looking from the top deck to the bowling green at the Yew Tree Pub.
The lovely weeping willows on the far bank of the Tame.
The Large Stone Mason's building opposite the Cemetery, before the dual carriageway.
The unusual stone used to build the Stockland Pub.
The prefabs along Reservoir Road.

Of course many people would describe the stops on the Outer Circle by the Pub names, so should I say from the Crown and Cushion to the Queens?

Back