• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1 Perry Barr to Erdington

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
1 Perry Barr to Erdington

The start of out journey begins for the purpose of this thread at Birchfield Rd Perry Barr, running along Aston Lane to Witton then we turn into Witton Rd,Witton Road changes to Brookvale Rd and then Marsh Hill as we approach Stockland Green and cross over the Slade Rd - Streetly Rd junction into Reservoir Rd. From here we continue on until we reach six ways Erdington and the end of the first leg of our journey.

I only intend to do a basic commentary on this journey so that anyone can record their own memories of this section of the route, All I ask is that you keep your posts and photos pertinent to this section of the route only.

Attachments

• 1 Birchfield Rd.JPG
    1 Birchfield Rd.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 2 Aston Lane.jpg
    2 Aston Lane.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 5 Witton Witton Arms.JPG
    5 Witton Witton Arms.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 3 Witton.JPG
    3 Witton.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 4 Aston Witton Rd - Witton Lane.jpg
    4 Aston Witton Rd - Witton Lane.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The next 5 photos in this section, travelling up Witton Road and Brookvale Rd,

Attachments

• 10 Brookvale Rd.jpg
    10 Brookvale Rd.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 6 Witton Witton Rd Railway Station.jpg
    6 Witton Witton Rd Railway Station.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 7 Witton Rd.JPG
    7 Witton Rd.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 76
  • 8 Brookvale Rd.jpg
    8 Brookvale Rd.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 9 Brookvale Rd 2.JPG
    9 Brookvale Rd 2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The next 5 photos of this section, Brookvale Rd, Marsh Hill to Stockland Green,

Attachments

• 15 Stockland Green.jpg
    15 Stockland Green.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 11 Brookvale Rd 3.JPG
    11 Brookvale Rd 3.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 12 Marsh Hill 2.JPG
    12 Marsh Hill 2.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 13 Marsh Hill.JPG
    13 Marsh Hill.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 14 Marsh Hill[1].JPG
    14 Marsh Hill[1].JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Here are the last five photos of this section of the route, Stockland Green to Erdington Six Ways. Please add any comments or photos of the route that are relevant to this section of the thread on this section of the thread only.

Attachments

• 20  Six Ways.JPG
    20 Six Ways.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 16 Stockland Green Plaza.jpg
    16 Stockland Green Plaza.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 17 Marsh Lane.jpg
    17 Marsh Lane.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 18 Erdington Cottage Homes[1].jpg
    18 Erdington Cottage Homes[1].jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 19 Erdington Six Ways.JPG
    19 Erdington Six Ways.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Apologies if this isn't really relevant to the thread but Perry Barr to Stockland Green on the number 11 was my route to school for five years.
Very nostalgic!

Apologies if this isn't really relevant to the thread but Perry Barr to Stockland Green on the number 11 was my route to school for five years.
Very nostalgic!

This is exactly what I am looking for, and as I open more sections of the route hopefully others will add their memories.

I remember using the #11 outer circle in the 1950s and 60s in conjunction with the #29 from Perry Barr. My mum and I used to take the #29 from Kingstanding to Perry Barr to link up with the 11 outer circle from PBarr to Kenilworth, Rd Aston. This was a regular weekly trip which I always enjoyed because I knew at the end of it I'd be able to browse my mum's friends Freeman's and Littlewood's catalogues when we got there while they talked the hind legs off a donkey. But I remember the return journey being incredibly tedious, having to change buses, waiting around for the #29 home.

Later on the #11 played a key role in my teenage years when my friends and I used to (literally) jump on it after school at the Bleak Hill/Marsh Hill junction to go into Erdington High Street for either coffee and discussions (mostly about boys) in the cafe in Taylor's/Owen Owen or a browse in Chelsea Girl. To us the bus was a lifeline in holding our social/love life together. We solved all the problems of teenage life on that bus journey, planned our futures and even bunked off school using the service.

Mostly my later memories are of the #11 providing a link to various other bus routes to navigate Birmingham. I rarely used it exclusively for one journey, but combined it with other bus routes to get me where I wanted to go.

Memories generated by the photos:
Stockland Green Plaza where I saw the first screening of Jungle Book. We took loads of snacks into the cinema with us and got a roasting from the usherette for making such a racket with our crisp and sweet packets during the performance. Also remember going there one Sunday afternoon taking warm roasted chicken sandwiches on freshly baked home made bread (one of those part-baked/bake at home loaves) to see "Lady Sings the Blues".

The bread shop on Stockland Green that sold warm pies. In the 6th form we'd go in there at lunchtime and ask for a 'Sweeney Todd' (pie) and Devon Bun. Don't think the assistants ever quite got to grips with why we'd ask for 'Sweeney Todds' - and we'd be terribly smug about it of course being arrogant, liberated 1960s 6th formers! We'd then go over to one of the exits from the Plaza cinema and sit on the steps to eat our pies.

The Stockland Inn - next door was the coach company where, as a youngster, I was taken to catch the night-time coach to Newquay for our holidays. In later years the Stockland Inn was used by teachers (and 6th formers) from the Marsh Hill Grammar Tech Schools - unbeknown to the heads of those schools.

Ahhhhh, the freedom of those days .... Viv.

hi dave if changing the title does not work slightly reduce the size of the photo and delete the first one you tried to post.. if that does not work we can swap emails via private message and if you email me the photo i will post it for you...

dave thats a cracking photo of your grandad...i can even see the likeness to you...i have deleted the post where you tried to upload the photo to keep the thread tidy...

thanks dave

lyn

A few more photos of this section of the route, we have among these, Brookvale Rd crossing the canal bridge, The bottom of Marsh Hill by Gypsy Lane, and a couple of the junction of Reservoir Rd and Sutton New Rd.

Attachments

• Erdington Sutton New Rd from Reservoir Rd.JPG
    Erdington Sutton New Rd from Reservoir Rd.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Erdington Marsh Hill - Gipsy Lane 1925 .jpg
    Erdington Marsh Hill - Gipsy Lane 1925 .jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Erdington Brookvale Rd 2.JPG
    Erdington Brookvale Rd 2.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Erdington Sutton New Rd - Reservoir Rd.JPG
    Erdington Sutton New Rd - Reservoir Rd.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 54
A few more just discovered images of Aston Lane that belong at the beginning of this thread. One of the junction of Aston Lane and Birchfield Rd another of the junction of Aston Lane and Wellhead Lane. The last one I'm not sure of the location other than it is Aston Lane. I'm sure that someone who lived a lot more local or used the number 11 route more than I did will soon pick it out.

Attachments

• Perry Barr Birchfield Rd - Aston Lane 1959.JPG
    Perry Barr Birchfield Rd - Aston Lane 1959.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Perry Barr Aston Lane - Wellhead Lane.JPG
    Perry Barr Aston Lane - Wellhead Lane.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 49
  • Perry Barr Aston Lane.JPG
    Perry Barr Aston Lane.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 59
I'm just trying to figure out what the large building is in the distance of the third picture.
Thought it might be Kynochs but I think it may be too far away from the corner of Walsall Road and Aston Lane?
There are a few houses before the Methodist Church but I can't remember a block as long as that after the church and before Kynochs - could be wrong though.

If it's of any help, the name over the tunnel access in the middle of the photo is "Bills Switchgear"

sparks that building was getting me as well..it looks to be on or near the corner of aston lane and wellhead lane..it could be the building that was demolished just a few years ago but i dont know what company that was...i think switchgears was just after the methodist church but would need mike to provide a 50s map for the stretch of aston lane from birchfield road to wellhead lane to confirm...if you have time mike...thanks

lyn

Last edited:
sparks that factory in the distance is not swtichgears...if you look at this photo you can see that there were houses after the methodist church and switchgears is behind those houses..

lyn

Attachments

• birchfield road 12.jpg
    birchfield road 12.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 28
Here is map c 1951. I think it must be the "electrical insulating material works (Tufnol) listed in wellhead lane

Attachments

• mapc 1950 aston lane between Birchfield road and wellhead lane.jpg
    mapc 1950 aston lane between Birchfield road and wellhead lane.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 27
Back