• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

‘Ace Place’ Sutton Coldfield

Hornbeam

Does anyone remember ‘Ace Place’, the name given to the disco held on Saturday nights in the 60s, in the Sutton Coldfield Congregational Church Hall, Park Road? I think it’s now the Sutton Coldfield United Reformed Church. I seem to remember that the son of the then Minister set it up.

Last edited:
Yes I used to go every week.
Remember the ultra violet lighting which was "groovy" but had the effect of showing every speck of dust on our cool clothes.
I still have my membership card :)

Yes I used to go every week.
Remember the ultra violet lighting which was "groovy" but had the effect of showing every speck of dust on our cool clothes.
I still have my membership card :)
Yes we remember The Ace Place. We started it - Steve Kirk, Chris Breeze (both have now died), Ann Waller (now Macartney), Micky Macartney, Cathy Senior (now Isom),and Eddie Patterson. Paul and Steve Holley were the sons of Fred Holley the church minister but older than us. I remember Paul Holley coming to Bishop Veseys Grammar School to our English lesson to talk about his visit to the USA when he went to a Doors concert. We had previously set up The Happening in the same venue. No alcohol but as you say UV lighting which showed up every white speck. In spite of the no alcohol (or perhaps because of it) it was a great success though we used to run to The Royal or The three Tuns afterwards. We spent a long time choosing posters (Aubrey Beardsley) etc and the records. I think it must have come to an end in about 1971/1972 when we went to university.
Would be pleased to hear from anyone who remembers it.

Back