• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Handsworth

Hi Shortie The Walpamur shop does strike a chord. My husband's family had a shop on the Soho Road opposite my father's and he says the Grand was known as the Fleapit too. I suppose most people went to the Regal as did we on occasions. Many thanks for your reply by the way. I do so love this...
  2. J

Handsworth

Hi Shortie wasn't the Grand turned into a furniture store and later a bingo hall? Seems to ring a bell and it was on the opposite side to Woolworths and lay back from the road a little. Judy
  3. J

Family in Davey Road, Aston and Perry Barr

Good job Mom didn't know about your playing in the field Stash! I remember going to the Annexe the first year of school. It was situated in Birchfield Road, where the flats are now I think. It was an old detached house with a huge (to us) monkey puzzle tree in the front garden. We used to...
  4. J

Old Aircraft Over Birmingham May 2013

I was outside washing my car in Sutton Coldfield and I heard this well before I saw it! What a lovely sound. I hadn't a clue what it was so thank you very much for the information. I love WW2 planes as my Dad worked on Lancaster bombers during the war. Judy
  5. J

Erdington Hospital early1920

Thank you Colin for your information. I have been wondering where the hospital was for over a year. I should have just put a message on this site! Many thanks. jayceevee
  6. J

Erdington Hospital early1920

Long time no post - I wonder if anyone can help me find the location of Erdington Hospital presumably in Erdington. My grandmother died here in 1920 but I cannot find where it was. I had presumed that it was the old name for Highcroft Hospital but really have no idea. Can anyone out there...
  7. J

Record shops in Bham

Hi there I remember the record shop Libbys on the Soho Road. If it is the one I am thinking of, it was still there in the early 1970s. My Dad had a hardware shop in the same block and I used to buy the Beatles LPs from there in the 1960s. Lovely man
  8. J

Old School

Hi Jayne It is not a very common name you have, and I knew a Jayne Shales when I lived at Perry Barr. We both went to Canterbury Cross Junior School until 1958. I don't suppose you and she are the same girl?
  9. J

Record shops in Bham

Hi Guys I bought my first plastic record from Sutclliffe's? on the Flat at Hockley Brook. My cousin took me and I bought Lonnie Donegan's 'Love is Strange', much to the disgust of my older cousin. My first proper 45 was 'Apache' by the Shadows. I even bought the sheet music and took it to my...
  10. J

calling all office girls.

I know Beamish and even now I have to skip that track on the CD!
  11. J

calling all office girls.

Hi Beamish I went to Pitmans College, it was in Corporation Street above the shoe shop until about 1960 when it moved to Norfolk House on Smallbrook Ringway. I eventually took shorthand and typing there, but things must have advanced since your day as we had a metal shield over our hands so we...
Back