• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Pub 79/80 Coleshill Street

Thanks Lyn and Mike. Yiur annotation on the map confirms exactly where I thought 2/79 to be. The electoral Roll for 1927 has entries for 6 houses at the back of 79 which correspond with the five buildings on the right of the courtyard and one on the left all roughly the same size. I assume the...
  2. J

Janice, you are quite right, I had thought the pub was at no 79, but I'd miscalculated, it was at no 82 and must be the Black Lion as you say. My grandmother lived at 2 back 79 and I thought if I could source a photo of the pub it would might also show the entrance to the court. I now think that...
  3. J

Difficult to say pjmburns. Later maps show the same building at no 79/80 but the numbering could have changed in the interim.
  4. J

Apologies, I haven't made it very clear which pub I'm referring to. It is the one marked close to the letter R in STREET, about four buildings in from the junction with Gem Street.
  5. J

Thanks jmadone but I don't think so. The pub I'm referring to would have been the other side of Gem Street in the next block.
  6. J

Old maps of Coleshill Street show a public house at about what later became a post office at number 79/80. I'm guessing that the change took place during the 1930's. Anyone know anything of this pub and what its history was? Map modified to show pub concerned in red
  7. J

3 House 26 Ct Hatchett St

Thanks for everyone's replies, really useful, especially the maps mikejee and janice. Morturn, I'm amazed that there was lone stock maker working in the gun quarter as recent as 20 years ago! I'm trying to built a picture of my Gt Gt grandfather's life. I get a sense that he had quite an...
  8. J

3 House 26 Ct Hatchett St

I'm looking for a map that shows 3 House 26 Court Hatchett Street where my Gt Gt Grandfather lived in the 1850's. He worked as a gun finisher for a time. Anyone know if there were any gun manufacturers close by or would he have worked from home? I've seen Mikegee's useful map of 1/46 Hatchett...
  9. J

new john street

Thanks mike jee for the map. Very useful. My gt gt grandfather was a brass worker and I suspect that he probably worked close by as there are a number of brass foundries in the immediate area.
  10. J

new john street

My gt grandparents lived at a couple of addresses in New John Street - No 2 Court in 1901 and Back of 164 in 1902. Does anyone have a map that shows where these were? I see from the map in the previous thread that no street numbers appear to be marked. I presume that cross-referencing with a...
  11. J

Metropolitan Cammell Archives

Hi Willmott, my great grandfather worked at the Oldbury Carriage Works as a Puddler. I would be interested in any information that you had relating to either to this carriage works in particular or carriage making in general. Do you know if there would be anything in the Metropolitan Cammell...
  12. J

Oldbury Carriage Works

I have seen the photo and have downloaded the Oldtime Oldbury history. What I really want to do is confirm that my ancestors really worked at the site and what that actually did. Sourcing old payrolls would be a great help. Maybe Sandwell Archives will be able to help me. Thanks for the...
  13. J

Oldbury Carriage Works

My great grandfather worked at the Oldbury Carriage Works from at least 1911 onwards. He lived close by in Century Road. I believe his sons worked there as well and were probably still working there during WW1 when they were making tanks. Does anyone know where I can research this - are there...
  14. J

The Beehive

Brenda Yes you are right Jasper Carrot did work at the Beehive. My mother worked there in the fifties I think. She remembers him well.
  15. J

Coleshill St and Gt Lister St

I have found an old map of Great Lister Street showing the junction with Windsor Street. I have added numbers 34 through to 39 and placed them in positions where I think they are indicated by the 1940's Kelly's Directory (which I found elsewhere on this forum). I have also found a photo on this...
  16. J

Many thanks pmc1947, I did find something in that thread that helps me enormously - a Kelly Directory listing identifies 37 and 39 Great Lister Street as being a few door down from Mrs Keens shop on the corner of Windsor Street. I note that the listing for no 39 shows a Mrs Nora Pickersgill a...
  17. J

My great grandmother lived in Coleshill Street (No 79) and also various addresses in Great Lister Street (No's 9, 37 and 39) in the early 1900's. I would love to get hold of some old photo's of these streets at about this time. I would also like to find out whereabouts these addresses might be...
  18. J

Firefighters Medal

After my grandfather Alfred THACKER (incredibly one of 22 children) died in the late 60's my mother gave me his medal which he had apparently got as a fireman in Brum during WWII. The medal has a purple ribbon and is embossed with the insignia of the National Fire Brigade Union. The reverse is...
  19. J

Fire Brigade Medals.

Medal Research Since my post yesterday, I've managed to do some research on the medallion or probably more correctly pendant. I've found a hallmark which shows it as Brmingham 1907. There's also a makers mark WHH which appears to be William Hair HASELER a jeweler of 8 Hylton Street Birmingham...
  20. J

Fire Brigade Medals.

More firefighters medals After my grandfather Alfred THACKER died in the late 60's my mother gave me his medal which he had apparently got as a fireman in Brum during WWII. The madal has a purple ribbon and is embossed with the insignia of the National Fire Brigade Union. The reverse is...
Back