• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. brum baby

Bear Yard, Bull Street - Information Req'd

Does anyone know where Bear Yard, Bull Street was in the 18th century. My 4x Gt Grandfather Robert Tibbins traded as a hair seller according to quite a few trade directories. Later he became a hair dresser. What would a hair seller do actually, make wigs? Apologies if I have posted in the...
  2. brum baby

Think Tank area

Does anyone have any 19th and early 20th century maps of the area where the Think Tank now stands. My ancestors lived in Fox Street, Cardigan Street and Nova Scotia Street plus other addresses in this area. I have visited the area but very little remains of any houses and I would like to plot...
  3. brum baby

Tibbins

I am descended from the Tibbins families who lived in Birmingham from at least 1786 when Samuel Tibbins was baptised at St Martin's in that year, son of Robert and Ann nee Tibbitts. Does anyone know where these Tibbins came from before this?
  4. brum baby

Prison Sentence Reports And Records

I have just found out that my Gt Gt Grandfather William Lyons was sentenced to six years imprisonment for receiving stolen property. I found him in the 1881 census in the H M Convict Prison, Portsea Hampshire. His was sentenced at the Birmingham Quarter Sessions in April 1879 and I wondered if...
Back