• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

Used to use Roundhouse think that's still going. Prince Hal, Trustee Servant all dodgy have gone. Aquarius gone too, The Local flattened. Mackadown now Lidl must be more...White Hart ? Used to go on pub crawl in Coleshill. Christ haven't drunk for yrs...
  2. M

Yeep remember the collector rd been put in, race track. Remember the m42 being built by Kingsbury water park. Even Coleshill isn't what it was. We have at least the good memories. Like our ancestors we move on. They struggled in back to back houses. But most were happy and close families. If I...
  3. M

Shame, me neither. Down the park most of the time.
  4. M

Zissmans

£15 leather jacket. We're all the rage. Cheers, happy new yr, hopefully better. Those were the days.
  5. M

Zissmans

Yes same jumpers lol thnx
  6. M

Zissmans

Amazing find, might get a shirt. The 70s for me, cheers.
  7. M

Greenfield Road, Harborne

Brilliant, thank you. Will pass it on. Much appreciated.
  8. M

Greenfield Road, Harborne

Sorry to be a pain. Can anyone point me in the direction of any photos 1860s onwards please. I have an elderly relative who lives there saying built in 1855. I have traced back a family from 1901 to 1939 who lived in the same house. Getting clever, but still need expert help from this great...
  9. M

Zissmans

Thank you for the info. Nelson House were the main. Competition for Zissmans, my dad would look in their window daily to compare prices. Was just down the road from Zissmans. Shirts, Jaytex, Brutus, Ben Sherman, tank tops, 2 tone trousers etc. Memories.
  10. M

Zissmans

Just seen your post. Many thanks, didn't know they had a shop in Dale End, wow. I recall my dad was manager in Union Street and Bull Street underpass. The shop I recall in Union Street, was I'm sure near Halford, not sure. So the shop in Dale end must have closed. Union Street was obviously more...
  11. M

Zissmans

You near Brick Lane at all. Going back many years when there was rioting then in The Jewish Quarter.
  12. M

Zissmans

That would probably be David Zissman. Bernards dad, who is still going last time I looked. Interesting regarding The Jewish tradition. You probably knew Bernard was not a Labour Councillor also Lord Mayor among and other things. Thank you.
  13. M

Zissmans

Thanks Vivienne, my dad was manager at Bull Street. Possibly 60s. Wasn't aware of West Brom and Dudley. Unsure if the last 2 shops lasted. They also had a shop in Cov. I was 15 when I worked on a Saturday. I was 14 when working in a butchers. Never forget scrubbing the wooden meat tables. Much...
  14. M

Hi Phil, hence Bluebell Drive on The un Hi Phil, hence the name Bluebell Drive on The Wood. Bacon's End, which was a pigs farm. Still have relatives on The Wood. Trying to explain, Baldys Mansion near Gressel Lane. Not sure of history but we were all scared as youngsters. Remember The Aquarius...
  15. M

Kingshurst

I know Redwood house is still standing. Only went in the mountford once. Seem to end up at the centurion or pub crawls in Coleshill. Time flies sometimes. Never know where we end up. I went to fordbridge cooks Lane. Unfortunately don't miss Kingshurst. Went through a Yr ago, not the same. Same...
  16. M

Kingshurst

I knew the owners of Bunny's Plaice at the time.
  17. M

Kingshurst

It's gone some Yrs ago. So you knew The Mallinsons, AJ and possibly the young guy who tragically passed away at a far to young age.
  18. M

Kingshurst

The library used to be a midland bank opposite. Also. The youth club further down. Thank you.
  19. M

Kingshurst

Brilliant, brings it all back. Cheers
  20. M

Kingshurst

I got topped in to play rugby. Mr George or Bevan, the Welsh. One. Mr Loft was Maths, I was in Mr Bullivents in Charlecote. Great character.
Back